FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does AA still fly to Caracas, Venezuela?
View Single Post
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:36 pm
Viajero Millero

Originally Posted by Herb687
There is something VERY strange going on here.
They still flight to Venezuela. CCS and MAR.

I started a thread in Sept about this issue: Withholding inventory, fare buckets? and as time progressed things got stranger and stranger. Meanwhile, the KVS person continues to argue the flights are zeroed-out (as in sold out) when you can see there's some massive underselling going on.

Herb687, obviously you have access to more detailed infromation. To illustrate my case, could you please check what's showing for December 31st 2013*, flights MIA-CCS 975 and 1698. As well as the CCS-MIA, 968 and 914?

This month I have seen spotty availability for random dates in Nov, Dec 2013 and Jan 2014. They change daily and are to specific destinations (IAH, LAS, LAX, MCO) and even MAD (all via MIA). I'm assuming those are coming up as immediate matches to rates published (and available, albeit very temporarily) by UA, CM, DL and IB ex-CCS.

By changing daily I really mean it, they open 6-7 seats overnight (mostly on full fare economy) and whether they are booked or not, they're gone the next day.

Something has been decided internally by revenue management to not sell this many seats, but I'm thinking before the end of the year all those hidden open seats will have to become available. Unless, of course, they start canceling flights and consolidating. Which would be a first for such profitable route.**

Regarding LAN, again, same issue: No CCS Availability for a Year!?. I called LAN yesterday and they couldn't offer me one single seat on LIM-CCS (daily flight) for ANY DATE in 2014. That can't be right either.

*Dec 31st is not a popular date at all for Venezuelans to fly in/out. Despite what you may think.

Originally Posted by Aduana28
Did AA discontinue flying Miami-Caracas, or are they just not selling any more tickets? Could this be a currency dispute between AA and the Venezuelan government?
** On paper, incredibly profitable. In reality, that profit is stuck in Venezuela...in Bolivares [which lose value daily].