Wiki Posts
Search

No CCS Availability for a Year!?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
No CCS Availability for a Year!?

Trying to end a OW RTW in CCS, and in a bizarre twist, I can't seem to find any LA availability into CCS for an entire year. Had agents look for it at AA, and they found the same thing.

Does anyone have any insight on this? If flights are really this full, shouldn't they be throwing a bunch more capacity at Caracas?

The AA agent made some mention of a note about internal audits in CCS revealing some discrepancy, but wouldn't comment further. Curious if anyone knows anything.

-G
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:55 am

Programs: LAN Commodore
Maybe the currency scams being perpetrated by Venezuelans which involve flying to Ecuador or Peru.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
There's a simple explanation for this. Venezuelans are booking up all the tickets out of CCS, in order to take advantage of the ability to buy US dollars at the highly restricted official exchange rate.

With a ticket in hand, the Venezuelan government allows them to buy up to $3,000 dollars. (Street rate in Caracas is some 7x higher than the official rate.) Some aren't flying at all - they're just using the ticket to get permission to buy dollars. Those who do fly are using the opportunity to buy even more dollars while abroad.

From Mexico City, I've found no availability at all with Copa or LAN to Caracas in the coming months. AA and Avianca have very limited dates available, at any price. And Aeromexico's best price MEX-CCS is $2,759 RT!
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Here's a recent story on the issue:

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2...ds-venezuelans
Old Nov 6, 2013, 2:31 am

Were you able to book your RTW open ended?

Or no dice?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:35 am

For those interested, LIM-CCS and SCL-CCS is now wide open in L and D for the next 6+ months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.