FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Carrying marinated beef on a plane...?
View Single Post
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:01 pm
zdave

Programs: United, Marriott, Choice, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by Zeromus-X
So here's one I'm guessing probably hasn't been asked here... or at least my searches aren't finding much.

There's a carniceria out here that has excellent ranchera preparada (marinated carne asada). I'm going to be visiting family this weekend across the country and would love to bring some. I have no problem picking up the beef tomorrow morning and freezing it until it's time to fly... and from what I've read, I could even carry that on the plane. However... the best part is the marinade that it sits in, and that's the part I can't figure out.

My original thought was to freeze the beef and marinade together in a bag and pack this in an Igloo style cooler inside my checked bag... but I have concerns about my bag getting lost and the beef thawing and... no.

Is that my only real option? Even in a frozen solid state I'm guessing I would not be able to include it in my checked baggage, correct?

I thought about separating the marinade and combining when I reach my destination but I'm still not sure how I'd safely get it back without worrying that a pressure change was going to cause a container to leak or explode.
What makes you think you couldn't check this item frozen?

I have shipped and checked many food items over the last few years. I also receive many product samples that are shipped next day air. If thoroughly frozen and well packed, you would have no issues with this in a checked bag with a couple of gel packs inside for at least 16 hours. I would call the carniceria first and ask them to freeze it for you a day ahead just to make sure it is frozen solid. Then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, add the gel packs, and throw it in a cooler. Oh, and expect that TSA will search your bag.

Dry ice is also a possibility. If you were doing that you would probably need to FedEx the product instead, as that requires a special sticker on the box.

Most bags don't get lost or delayed so I wouldn't really worry about that unless you have tight connections or other risk factors. When the product arrives, check the temperature (<41F) just to be safe.