Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Carrying marinated beef on a plane...?

Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, HH, Bonvoy

So here's one I'm guessing probably hasn't been asked here... or at least my searches aren't finding much.

There's a carniceria out here that has excellent ranchera preparada (marinated carne asada). I'm going to be visiting family this weekend across the country and would love to bring some. I have no problem picking up the beef tomorrow morning and freezing it until it's time to fly... and from what I've read, I could even carry that on the plane. However... the best part is the marinade that it sits in, and that's the part I can't figure out.

My original thought was to freeze the beef and marinade together in a bag and pack this in an Igloo style cooler inside my checked bag... but I have concerns about my bag getting lost and the beef thawing and... no.

Is that my only real option? Even in a frozen solid state I'm guessing I would not be able to include it in my checked baggage, correct?

I thought about separating the marinade and combining when I reach my destination but I'm still not sure how I'd safely get it back without worrying that a pressure change was going to cause a container to leak or explode.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Choice, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by Zeromus-X
So here's one I'm guessing probably hasn't been asked here... or at least my searches aren't finding much.

There's a carniceria out here that has excellent ranchera preparada (marinated carne asada). I'm going to be visiting family this weekend across the country and would love to bring some. I have no problem picking up the beef tomorrow morning and freezing it until it's time to fly... and from what I've read, I could even carry that on the plane. However... the best part is the marinade that it sits in, and that's the part I can't figure out.

My original thought was to freeze the beef and marinade together in a bag and pack this in an Igloo style cooler inside my checked bag... but I have concerns about my bag getting lost and the beef thawing and... no.

Is that my only real option? Even in a frozen solid state I'm guessing I would not be able to include it in my checked baggage, correct?

I thought about separating the marinade and combining when I reach my destination but I'm still not sure how I'd safely get it back without worrying that a pressure change was going to cause a container to leak or explode.
What makes you think you couldn't check this item frozen?

I have shipped and checked many food items over the last few years. I also receive many product samples that are shipped next day air. If thoroughly frozen and well packed, you would have no issues with this in a checked bag with a couple of gel packs inside for at least 16 hours. I would call the carniceria first and ask them to freeze it for you a day ahead just to make sure it is frozen solid. Then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, add the gel packs, and throw it in a cooler. Oh, and expect that TSA will search your bag.

Dry ice is also a possibility. If you were doing that you would probably need to FedEx the product instead, as that requires a special sticker on the box.

Most bags don't get lost or delayed so I wouldn't really worry about that unless you have tight connections or other risk factors. When the product arrives, check the temperature (<41F) just to be safe.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

It's only eight hours of flight including the layover (which is not a close call - it's an hour and a half), so I probably don't have much to worry about. I'll likely pick up the stuff tomorrow morning and that gives me two days to freeze it... should be rock solid by then.

I guess my biggest concern is it thawing out in transit but I guess it's pretty cold in the storage area this time of year. *shrug*
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold
Marinated beef on a plane...?

I regularly bring both frozen and thawed Mexican food back from LAX to IAD, mostly checked in. Few times I've carried it on as well with no questions ever being asked.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Marinated beef on a plane...?

After seeing the title of this thread I was hoping that it was some variation of Snakes on a Plane, but apparently not.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
If you do, make sure that you add contribution in this list:

What was the weirdest thing you took aboard as a carry-on?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
People check frozen food all the time, with longer flight times, with no problem. For fun watch all the coolers being checked in for flights to/from Alaska.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
It's only eight hours of flight including the layover (which is not a close call - it's an hour and a half), so I probably don't have much to worry about. I'll likely pick up the stuff tomorrow morning and that gives me two days to freeze it... should be rock solid by then.

I guess my biggest concern is it thawing out in transit but I guess it's pretty cold in the storage area this time of year. *shrug*
You should be fine if its frozen and stored in a cooler. I've done it many times. If you decide to use dry ice, make sure you visit your airline's webpage and verify the quantity you can pack. I think the limit is something like 2kg but I can't remember. Also zdave is right, it needs a sticker stating that your package contains dry ice. Also might need a special box.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

We're about to really put this to the test. Frozen, packed with gel packs, wrapped in newspaper, in an insulated cooler. We are now going on hour 3 of flight delays due to computer problems with the plane, and a new plane is on its way.

I don't have much hope. :/
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I don't have much hope. :/
Weeeell, you can start sharing it with your fellow travellers and have a really good time...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.