FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Carrying marinated beef on a plane...?
View Single Post
Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:52 pm
Zeromus-X

Programs: DL, HH, Bonvoy
Carrying marinated beef on a plane...?

So here's one I'm guessing probably hasn't been asked here... or at least my searches aren't finding much.

There's a carniceria out here that has excellent ranchera preparada (marinated carne asada). I'm going to be visiting family this weekend across the country and would love to bring some. I have no problem picking up the beef tomorrow morning and freezing it until it's time to fly... and from what I've read, I could even carry that on the plane. However... the best part is the marinade that it sits in, and that's the part I can't figure out.

My original thought was to freeze the beef and marinade together in a bag and pack this in an Igloo style cooler inside my checked bag... but I have concerns about my bag getting lost and the beef thawing and... no.

Is that my only real option? Even in a frozen solid state I'm guessing I would not be able to include it in my checked baggage, correct?

I thought about separating the marinade and combining when I reach my destination but I'm still not sure how I'd safely get it back without worrying that a pressure change was going to cause a container to leak or explode.