FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:08 pm
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
To do that he would have to think like Whole Foods and not like Safeways.
Not Safeway but Wal-Mart. Long lines, unhappy low-paid line staff, shoddy product mix.

Originally Posted by BearX220
Waste of time. Petitions do nothing. Take meaningful action.
  • Pay to fly other airlines and mail the boarding passes to Smisek's office.
  • Cancel your Chase cards and make sure Chase knows why.
  • Obtain status matches with AA, etc. and mail evidence to Smisek's office. Enclose your current UA elite-level MP card.
  • Redeem all your MP miles as quickly as possible in a manner that costs UA maximally (e.g. partner premium awards).
  • Raise awareness in the office and with seatmates on planes, etc.
That is all.
Cancel Chase - absolutely! ^
Redeem MP miles for high value awards - definitely! ^

Abandon UA? Not an option for everyone nor am I convinced there are better alternatives within the USA. However I am certainly going to take a close look at other *A programs to see if there is one that offers better elite perks and comparable EQM. So far I have't found one but there are a lot to review. You have to weigh the few remaining meaningful 1K perks (fee waivers, GPUs, E+) against the value of banking miles in another program. LH Senator is great but difficult to achieve. I also refuse to participate in any program where my miles automatically expire on a certain date (e.g. AC, no extension regardless of activity).

Similarly I am not sure I would want to raise awareness generally until after February 1. Don't need more miles chasing saver award seats prior to DDay. And for those of us who still earn most of our miles by BIS flying there may be a bit of a silver lining if this drives the card churner bloggers away from UA. Again fewer miles chasing premium awards.

Last edited by Boraxo; Nov 7, 2013 at 1:14 pm