FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Malabo {GNQ} (no longer Honors)
View Single Post
Old Oct 26, 2013, 11:58 am
RMC500

This is an update to Hauteboy's concise review of the Malabo Hilton in February 2012, shortly after the hotel opened. The five-story hotel (ground and 1-4) still caters almost exclusively to the oil industry, ranging from executives to workers arriving straight off the oil rigs. Also spotted one airline crew. Although a free hotel shuttle is available, prior arrangements by email or telephone are suggested, as there are no phones or Hilton desk at the tiny airport. Cash and points rate is now 17,000 points and 48 Euros. The hotel's public areas are still well-maintained, and downright cold, temperature-wise, but the rooms are starting to fade. My entire bathroom had standing water after a shower and the toilet seat fell off. There are two expensive restaurants (buffet only), a lobby bar serving drinks and sandwiches, and a pool bar serving sandwiches and barbeque. I ate dinner at the pool bar while dodging mosquitoes. Breakfast is $40.00 per person at the Teatro restaurant, but is the only option. There is free Wi-Fi, as well as a relatively large fitness center. The executive level (on the fourth floor) is ostensibly available for upgrades for diamonds and golds, but the front desk advised that the lounge has been closed for "renovations." However, it appeared that the lounge has been converted into a meeting/banquet room for oil executives. Be sure to carefully review your bill when you check out, and pay with USD or Euros rather than a credit card. My cash and points rate was changed to almost 300 Euros per night until I provided a copy of my reservation. Count on a lengthy check-out process since English is not widely spoken and only one person may be manning the front desk. Perhaps the most positive note is that the hotel now allows a 4:00 p.m. checkout, without extra charge, probably b/c the LH and AF flights don't depart until the early evening.