Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Malabo {GNQ} (no longer Honors)

Old Feb 12, 12, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Location: Austin, TX -- AA PLT 2.8MM+ (life PLT); IHG PLT Ambassador; UA Gold

I've just completed a stay at the Hilton Malabo in Equatorial Guinea. Chances are if you are coming here it is for the oil industry, but I came as a tourist (for the Africa's Cup of Nations games). Normally the hotel is $400+ a night but I used a cash+points rate (52EUR + 20k points).

The Hilton is very close to the airport, so close indeed that I was able to walk there in under 10 minutes. They also have a shuttle as it turns out, you would have to call ahead. The room was ready and very nice, firm bed with flatscreen TV, minibar and separate bath/shower. Though the shower was oddly placed in the same room as the toilet. The bed frame too is sharp, wooden frame but the mattress doesn't cover all of it. Backing up from the workdesk I managed to stab my ankle, ouch.

The hotel has a pool, bars, fitness room and free wifi. Standard safe in the room + iron/ironing board. They also have a free shuttle to the airport or around town. The Africas Cup 3rd place match was in Malabo (Mali vs Ghana), and many of the CAF representatives were staying at the hotel.

There are a couple of bars, piano bar and pool bar. Two restaurants but didn't eat at any of them.

Sample minibar price list (though my minibar was empty):
Coke: 2500 CFA ($5)
Pringles: 2000 CFA ($4)
Champange: 15000 CFA ($30)
Johnnie Walker Black: 5000 CFA ($10)

Old Feb 12, 12, 12:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for the review, hauteboy, for a property many of us will probably not have the opportunity to visit.
Old Feb 12, 12, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I was thinking the same thing. I didn't even imagine Hilton had a property there...or that someone would go all the way there for a football match! Anyway, good review!
Old Oct 26, 13, 11:58 am

This is an update to Hauteboy's concise review of the Malabo Hilton in February 2012, shortly after the hotel opened. The five-story hotel (ground and 1-4) still caters almost exclusively to the oil industry, ranging from executives to workers arriving straight off the oil rigs. Also spotted one airline crew. Although a free hotel shuttle is available, prior arrangements by email or telephone are suggested, as there are no phones or Hilton desk at the tiny airport. Cash and points rate is now 17,000 points and 48 Euros. The hotel's public areas are still well-maintained, and downright cold, temperature-wise, but the rooms are starting to fade. My entire bathroom had standing water after a shower and the toilet seat fell off. There are two expensive restaurants (buffet only), a lobby bar serving drinks and sandwiches, and a pool bar serving sandwiches and barbeque. I ate dinner at the pool bar while dodging mosquitoes. Breakfast is $40.00 per person at the Teatro restaurant, but is the only option. There is free Wi-Fi, as well as a relatively large fitness center. The executive level (on the fourth floor) is ostensibly available for upgrades for diamonds and golds, but the front desk advised that the lounge has been closed for "renovations." However, it appeared that the lounge has been converted into a meeting/banquet room for oil executives. Be sure to carefully review your bill when you check out, and pay with USD or Euros rather than a credit card. My cash and points rate was changed to almost 300 Euros per night until I provided a copy of my reservation. Count on a lengthy check-out process since English is not widely spoken and only one person may be manning the front desk. Perhaps the most positive note is that the hotel now allows a 4:00 p.m. checkout, without extra charge, probably b/c the LH and AF flights don't depart until the early evening.
Old Oct 26, 13, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Is Spanish widely understood there?
Old Oct 26, 13, 3:25 pm

If you speak Spanish, you'll get along fine.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: