FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What happens to Avios / TPs / status upon the death of the account holder ?
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:20 am
callum9999

Originally Posted by uk1
They are relying on the preservation of consumer ignorance with respect to their rights.

This basically is fairly black and white as far as these issues go. The reason why you are doubtful is because these issues never get tested and instead are dealt with informally to preserve the doubt that you clearly and understandably demonstrate. BA needs people to doubt their rights. It is more profitable. Ie eu regs ...... People are steeped in the acceptance of Ts and Cs.

It might not be unfair to preclude them being reassigned during the lifetime of the holder of the miles. However it all changes on the death of the holder. BA are relying on three simple unsustainable and daft ideas. Firstly that the miles have no value. They do. I have paid for mine. They are not given away for free. Secondly that they are not owned by the person who has " bought" them. This is also clearly rubbish. They are in an account with a name on them with rules about how they can be used. The last idea relies on the first two being fair and that is that consumers are bound by terms and conditions even if they are unfair. BA knows that this isn't so.

Once the miles are transferred to the next of kin of the original owner, they then become bound - as the previous owner - by the reasonable terms.

They will be transferred to her once she has made it clear she isn't going o be fobbed of.
Why didn't I realise that before. Your opinions are correct, anyone else who disagrees is ignorant...

This is not black and white, otherwise you could quote a law to prove your case. You cannot do so because it is vague and uses terms like "fair". A term you clearly have a completely different definition of to me and many other people.

You can't just dictate what is and what isn't fair. Why is it inherently unfair for avios to be tied to a single person? It's not an ambiguous requirement, though I accept not many people would have read the T&Cs about what happens after death. It is made crystal clear from the outset that individual avios accounts are only for use by the named person. Hence, for example, why if you booked tickets for you and someone else you would ONLY earn avios on your own ticket - regardless of the fact you paid for both tickets.

There is a distinct difference between not liking something, and it being unfair.