FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What happens to Avios / TPs / status upon the death of the account holder ?
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:10 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mutu
I am always a little intrigued when threads like this one gather momentum. if we claim the miles have value and indeed are ours, then I believe that goes against the various arguments made over the years to HMRC that miles earned from business travel are NOT a BIK as they have....no value and are restricted in use and ultimately belong to the airline........

I would rather tick the "I accept the BA T&Cs box" than have the taxman asking me for 45% of the cash saved through redemptions in a given tax year.
I am hopeful - like the majority of people posting on the thread - that the OP get's the miles that her husband earned or bought - but certainly owned before his death - back from BA. I'm reasonably confident that that will be the outcomne .... eventually ... and all of us surely want to focus on her and her issue and be helpful .. It would be a shame if she felt it too complicated because of the resulting debate and simply doesn't try.

But in answer to your point - which has nothing to do with the OP's challange .. HMRC can at any time take a view on this issue and then change it. They do what they want - when they want. It seems to me that the miles do have value and are therefore taxable if they were a benefit earned from company travel, but so far HMRC have decided not to pursue it. They may change their mind.