FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Renaming the Buzz forums?
View Single Post
Old Oct 18, 2013, 2:53 pm
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jackal
I am 100% in favor of a change.

I'm not married to nsx's specific proposal, but I very strongly dislike the current "___Buzz!" names. I mean, seriously, an exclamation mark?! What is this, 1998?

FlyerTalk needs to get with the times. That kind of naming scheme was "in" back when the Internet was new and we were Randy's side project with a few hundred members, but it's 2012, and FlyerTalk is the leading source of frequent flyer program information in the world. We desperately need a more up-to-date, professional image, and "Buzz!" makes us look like we're some little rinky-dink site hosted in someone's basement.

So while I'm personally looking forward to discussion on the merits of nsx's specific wording and alternate suggestions, I vehemently disagree with anyone who suggests that the status quo "isn't broken."
I'm not married to Buzz (#1) nor am I married to Hot (#2). I do agree that if we change one Buzz we should probably change the others to be consistent.

I disagree that simply having Buzz in a name implies that Flyertalk is a rinky-dink site hosted in someone's basement

Also IYO the current wording is broken. That doesn't necessarily make it true.

So the real merit discussion is whether FTers think the current names are fine or if the proposed names (or alternate suggestions if anyone has some) will be better for FT. I look forward to reading FTers input on whether to keep Buzz or make a switch, & why re: either.

As I mentioned, I could go either way. cbslaid does make a valid point that Hot is just as trendy/dated as Buzz

BTW - it's 2013, not 2012

Cheers.