FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Max Checked Luggage Dimensions--does AA count wheels/handle?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 8:43 am
ksguenov

Max Checked Luggage Dimensions--does AA count wheels/handle?

Hi! I am looking at a suitcase at Costco--the Kirkland Signature 29in Hardside Spinner by Samsonite. It looks like a great bag, but I am worried about its size:

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signa...100027930.html

The product description states that while the dimensions of the suitcase body are within the allowed 62 inches (LxWxH), the wheels and handle add on additional size such that it is not within compliance if those parts are measured too. (As this is a spinner bag, the wheels protrude more than the wheels on a standard two wheeled bag would):

Packing Case Dimensions (plus expansion)*: 29"L x 19.5"W x 12.75"H
Total Overall Dimensions**: 31.5"L x 20.25"W x 12.5"H;
Linear Inches: 64.25"

Does AA count wheels and handle when determining overall size compliance? I could see on AA.com where various partner airlines explicitly state that they count wheels and handles in overall sizing, but I didn't see AA stating that anywhere for its own flights. For the record, I would probably only be using this bag on AA metal. I am Platinum now, but only Gold next year and I might drop down below Gold in future years, so I wouldn't like to rely on status to help me out.

Thanks!

Kristin