Max Checked Luggage Dimensions--does AA count wheels/handle?

Old Oct 16, 2013, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Max Checked Luggage Dimensions--does AA count wheels/handle?

Hi! I am looking at a suitcase at Costco--the Kirkland Signature 29in Hardside Spinner by Samsonite. It looks like a great bag, but I am worried about its size:

http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signa...100027930.html

The product description states that while the dimensions of the suitcase body are within the allowed 62 inches (LxWxH), the wheels and handle add on additional size such that it is not within compliance if those parts are measured too. (As this is a spinner bag, the wheels protrude more than the wheels on a standard two wheeled bag would):

Packing Case Dimensions (plus expansion)*: 29"L x 19.5"W x 12.75"H
Total Overall Dimensions**: 31.5"L x 20.25"W x 12.5"H;
Linear Inches: 64.25"

Does AA count wheels and handle when determining overall size compliance? I could see on AA.com where various partner airlines explicitly state that they count wheels and handles in overall sizing, but I didn't see AA stating that anywhere for its own flights. For the record, I would probably only be using this bag on AA metal. I am Platinum now, but only Gold next year and I might drop down below Gold in future years, so I wouldn't like to rely on status to help me out.

Thanks!

Kristin
Old Oct 16, 2013, 8:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I assume we're talking about checked luggage here, not carry on... Just want to be sure.

I've never had anyone bust out the measuring tape at AA in the years I've flown with them, and I've definitely taken larger bags than what you describe above. I'd say you're in the clear!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Just remember the lager the suitcase the heavier it may be once completely filled.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Definitely checked . The bag would be light on the way out and heavy on the way back (yes, I plan to do some shopping!), but I'll be upgraded to business on the return journey, so the weight limit will be 70lbs...

Anyone have any personal experience with this bag? I've never had a hardside bag before, or a spinner, but Costco usually makes really good quality bags...
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by ksguenov
..., but Costco usually makes really good quality bags...
just FYI, Costco doesn't actually make luggage, they just private-label someone else's.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Oh, I know...this particular bag is made by Samsonite. However, they are usually pretty picky about items they put their 'Kirkland Signature' house brand onto...
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Anyone have any personal experience with this bag? I've never had a hardside bag before, or a spinner, but Costco usually makes really good quality bags...
Your best bet for real world experiences on this or other bags would be to check out the Travel Products forum. Good luck!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:48 am

I've never had anyone check the size. The weight is more important. And that bag doesn't sound that large.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
From personal experience, if anyone does measure it then it will be considered as over-sized.

Chances of it ever being measured are low, but they will include the wheels if they do decide it looks too big.

We have a large padded bag for moving monitors around, it actually measures about 65" inc. wheels, we've been charged for it once in about 30 flights so far.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. Mark, does your oversized bag 'look' oversized? Does it look like a suitcase or does it look like some kind of exotic tech case?

In my situation, I'm a little worried because I'll be traveling on my return flight with three big bags, all somewhere around 70 lbs, and I don't know if this is going to make them more likely to measure my bags or not...
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Thanks, everyone. Mark, does your oversized bag 'look' oversized? Does it look like a suitcase or does it look like some kind of exotic tech case?

In my situation, I'm a little worried because I'll be traveling on my return flight with three big bags, all somewhere around 70 lbs, and I don't know if this is going to make them more likely to measure my bags or not...
IME, I have never seen a tape measure brought out by an agent. Not for me, not for anybody else. I wonder if they even have one.

But in any case, chances are very very slight that you will get charged for a couple of inches more. Just like when my bag goes over 50lbs by less than 1lb.

Why not just buy a true 62" bag in any case? It is not that two inches less will ruin your shopping trip, is it?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carlosdca
IME, I have never seen a tape measure brought out by an agent. Not for me, not for anybody else. I wonder if they even have one.

But in any case, chances are very very slight that you will get charged for a couple of inches more. Just like when my bag goes over 50lbs by less than 1lb.

Why not just buy a true 62" bag in any case? It is not that two inches less will ruin your shopping trip, is it?
Thanks, Carlos. I would prefer a standard 62 in bag...it is just that I really like this Costco bag

I appreciate everyone's help!!

Kristin
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Trust me, they do have one if they decide they want to use it.

The bag we use is large, black and more square than a typical suitcase, but is not exotic, as I've said, one once in over 30 flights has it been measured and found to be over-sized.

At a personal level, if I planned to travel with 3 cases at or close to 70lbs I probably wouldn't risk it with an oversized bag as well.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mark_T

The bag we use is large, black and more square than a typical suitcase, but is not exotic, as I've said, one once in over 30 flights has it been measured and found to be over-sized.

At a personal level, if I planned to travel with 3 cases at or close to 70lbs I probably wouldn't risk it with an oversized bag as well.
Your advice is much appreciated. I think I'll probably give the Costco bag a pass.

Thanks!!

Kristin
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Mark_T
I do believe you.
I just have not seen them using a tape measure ever.

But I agree, I would just by a compliant bag somewhere else.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.