FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LH/LX/LO/OS/SN/OU economy class food
View Single Post
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:39 am
dj_jay_smith

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by roberino
I was on MAN-MUC in Y on Tuesday night and was truly appalled at the "food" handed out on the flight. It was a two-part plastic container, the smaller part containing 9 (yes, I counted them) micro pretzels (they were too small to be called mini pretzels). The other part was a formless yellow lump of starchy goo and four odd looking little strips of grey rubbery meat covered in damp breadcrumbs. I asked and was told that the yellow goo was potato salad and the strips were Schnitzel-Wienerart.

I tried the Schnitzel first. This was truly nasty, rubbery rap that tasted of salt and nothing else. A knot of gristle did nothing to enhance the experience.

Then followed the potato salad, whose scooping severely strained the integrity of the plastic spoon supplied with it. It was disgusting from the moment it got within 10cm of my face. The odour was overpowering and when it went in my mouth it was clear that a huge number of artificial flavourings had been added to compensate for the lack of natural ones.

I ate the pretzels to take the flavour of the potato salad away, but sadly 9 of them was insufficient for that purpose.

I looked around to see that most of the passengers were in tacit agreement with my assessment and an awful lot of the meal service went in the bin. Seriously, what the hell do LH think they're doing serving this vile filth? I would much rather have nothing at all than this. I know it must be cheap to make, and therefore economical, but what about al those who know book with a budget airline (or tell their friends and family to) because the extra you pay for a flight with a meal included is simply a waste of money?
I agree with you. I also watched as on a flight a couple of months ago they served this to a Muslim and claimed it was chicken when it was in fact Pork, and he had to tell them 2 or 3 times before they read the ingredients and agreed. So he did get nothing!

Of course for a 1 - 1.5 flight it is not so bad to have nothing, but if you are taking 2 segments (or even 3!) with a transfer then from when you leave the office until you get home (and can eat something) can easily be 6 - 8 hours, and to be just offered this 'food' twice is terrible. (I have done this many times in the past, albeit mostly with SAS where you got nothing).

Certainly if you pay extra for a full class airline you should expect full class service, otherwise why pay extra? Certainly not for the airmiles!

What was wrong with the fresh sandwhich choice and small chocolate bar they use to offer years ago? This was perfect IMHO on short flights.