FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Embassy Suites Monterey Bay - Seaside {US-CA}
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:54 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I will stay at the HGI anytime over this place. The HGI is NOT noisy if one stays on the rooms on the west side (extensively discussed in the property thread), has much more attentive and welcoming staff, a much better breakfast, etc. (The DoubleTree that reflagged as Marriott didn't even award HHonors points, never mind water, breakfast chits, upgrades or the like, so I don't miss it.)

We did stay here three nights this week (T-W-Th) as it was cheaper and closer to our meeting venue in Moss Landing. My observations:

It's been repainted on the outside, and is no longer pink - but it is still the same sore thumb that sticks out from any Monterey Bay location within sight. Arrival was tepid in terms of staff, Diamond status and HH account preferences pretty much useless here. Even Nor1 requests were ignored, never mind "far from elevator - upper floor" preferences (and no, the property was not even close to full occupancy). Two bottles of water was pretty much it. Parking is in a large open lot, with plenty of nearby foot traffic day and night, as well as an extended hours Chili's restaurant.

One elevator (out of three, serving 225 rooms on twelve floors) was out of order - not so crowded during the week, though plenty of tour groups and busses as well as military and contractors, meant lots of waiting at times - the elevator has been broken for over two weeks.

Yes, the decor is out of the 1960s, the wall paint ghastly jaundice yellow - the outside has been painted, but the rub spots etc. on the inside show it was not - and in our bathroom both hot and cold water handles leaked water, the air con set at 68 F was not sufficient to keep it at 72 F, so housekeeping opened the window (and this is with a high temperature locally in the low 70s). The rooms are noisy - unless you get one in the back of the house, you overlook two fairly well used streets (Del Monte and Canyon del Rey Blvds. - and in the distance Highway 1), so even on the 7th floor I needed ear plugs.

I did enjoy the nice mattress and the extra extra firm pillows among the pillow selection and the linens (some Hilton and some Sysco - I had no idea Sysco provided linens). Wi-Fi was dreadful, even though we were on floor 7 and not the highest level, 12.

The breakfast is inferior to many Embassy Suites and certainly to the breakfast offerings at the Monterey HGI (see SST's post above) - omelets, yes, but no waffles or pancakes, no eggs Benedict; fruit very unripe honeydew melon and watermelon chunks - no strawberries or pineapple, like at the HGI. Penurious on bread offerings; coffee is watered down and nasty. An older Egyptian man works here many mornings and he can't be helpful enough.

Too boot, the property lost my laundry - though the prices are more reasonable than many for this, losing laundry made it a nonstarter (they did finally find it the third time I inquired, so I could dress the way I wanted for an important - at least to me - dinner).

Honestly, it feels they are "mining" this high-demand family resort property and I will continue to book away when possible. (The benefits of course are full suites with capacity for four people, and easy access to State highway 1.)

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 22, 2013 at 5:29 pm Reason: final touches