FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - best one-way car rental discount codes
View Single Post
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:25 am
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinbee
There is a Ohio State code without insurance. It is specifically for personal leisure rentals for all faculty, staff, students, & retirees. Code is XZ38140.

Gives same discount as the Big 10 code on one ways.

See site: http://hr.osu.edu/osura/discounts.aspx
Interesting. I'll do some research on this in the next couple of days (I have some one-ways booked) and see if I can duplicate your results. This would be quite helpful. Always better not to get insurance you're not really eligible for.

EDIT: Yup, it works! Unless somebody can tell me a reason not to, I'm going to book this rate instead of the "old" Ohio State rate when I need it. It seems safer to not have the insurance.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even without codes, I'm finding that some rentals from (a) a downtown car rental location in major metropolitan area to (b) an airport rental location in a major airline hub city 1-8 hours away can be pretty good value without any large one-way drop-off fees. Recently found this to be the case for a Chicago to MSP rental and have also seen this in the NYC and DC areas as well.
Also interesting. It wouldn't surprise me if this is the case, but I'd also assume it's unpredictable. As you know, random car rental rates (as opposed to codes that have fixed, negotiated prices) can be "anything" at any given time. If nothing else, you're likely saving the crazy local car rental taxes which usually only apply to airport pick-ups.

Last edited by iahphx; Sep 21, 2013 at 6:49 pm