best one-way car rental discount codes

Old Jun 17, 13, 3:25 pm

Programs: USAir, Delta, ChoiceHotels, Marriott
One-way auto rates to Florida in the fall or leaving Florida in the spring can be EXTREMELY low.

We live in Miami and wanted to see some friends in S. Carolina and Philadelphia. The I-95 drive is quite boring and didn't want to drive RT around 1000 miles each way.

So in May, we rented a car from Hertz for about $120/week. We had our choice of virtually any size car we wanted for the same price as long as we were dropping it off further north. We could have rented it in Miami but got one-way tickets on SWA from FLL to JAX for about $59 each which cut about 6 hours of driving time and 350 miles off the trip. It would have been $40-$50 in gas if we had driven all the way from MIA or FLL so the two airline tickets for $118 ($59x2) were a good deal.

The same strategy works in the fall when car companies want to get their vehicles down to Florida.
Old Jun 17, 13, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by MrKendall View Post
One-way auto rates to Florida in the fall or leaving Florida in the spring can be EXTREMELY low.

We live in Miami and wanted to see some friends in S. Carolina and Philadelphia. The I-95 drive is quite boring and didn't want to drive RT around 1000 miles each way.

So in May, we rented a car from Hertz for about $120/week. We had our choice of virtually any size car we wanted for the same price as long as we were dropping it off further north. We could have rented it in Miami but got one-way tickets on SWA from FLL to JAX for about $59 each which cut about 6 hours of driving time and 350 miles off the trip. It would have been $40-$50 in gas if we had driven all the way from MIA or FLL so the two airline tickets for $118 ($59x2) were a good deal.

The same strategy works in the fall when car companies want to get their vehicles down to Florida.
Fl rentals b4 and after the summer is a old trick.
I find Hertz miles very valuable on one ways.
Old Jul 6, 13, 1:54 am

Newbie question

I have a one way rental chicago to new york. With national it would be a good price using one of the codes and I could drop the car in manhattan. Butthe note below the caluclate button makes me a bit suspicious.

Miles will be charged on a per mile basis for all miles noted on the Rental Contract upon return of the Vehicle. Unless noted above, the Estimated Total does not include refueling, mileage, delivery, one-way charges, additional or youthful driver fees or optional products and services, which may be separately or additionally charged or collected.
Hence they can add the charge at the counter or? is there any action to enhance my chance to avoid the drop of fee?

I have two rentals CVG-Chicago and Chicago-New York is a car rental company or special stations helpful?
Old Jul 6, 13, 10:02 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
You never know. I'd go with the best code. It might help to have a story ready if you need one -- and a back-up plan.

I have a feeling that this code thing is all a game. The car rental companies could be much tougher on codes if they wanted to be. Of course, they'd lose a lot of business if they were.
I agree; it's all a game.

Car companies will not rent any time at a loss, and I can't imagine any way eg the Big Ten is offering any kind of quid pro quo for these rates.

Always have a back-up plan is excellent advice. Maybe one time out of ten you'll run into a counter person who has taken on the discount code enforcement mantle with vigor. The illogic of watching the customer take revenue out the door as the customer implements an alternate plan with a competitor is just lost on these goofy (and thankfully rare) employees.
Old Jul 7, 13, 1:35 pm

Do I still have to pay the one way fee with the Big10 code?
Old Jul 7, 13, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KarlKlammer View Post
Newbie question

I have a one way rental chicago to new york. With national it would be a good price using one of the codes and I could drop the car in manhattan. Butthe note below the caluclate button makes me a bit suspicious.

Hence they can add the charge at the counter or? is there any action to enhance my chance to avoid the drop of fee?

I have two rentals CVG-Chicago and Chicago-New York is a car rental company or special stations helpful?
Not sure what's you're seeing. The nice thing about National (compared to, say, Avis/Budget, is that on your confirmation you get a final price. If it says "unlimited mileage" and doesn't include a drop charge, that should be your final cost.

Originally Posted by KarlKlammer View Post
Do I still have to pay the one way fee with the Big10 code?
I've never seen a one-way fee using that code. If you enter in your details, you'll get the correct pricing.
Old Aug 28, 13, 11:35 am

WOW!!!! I was searching for one way discount codes from Louisville to Nashville and came upon this forum. I certainly hope the Big 10 code works because it is HUNDREDS of dollars less than what I have been finding.

Thank you!!!!! Will let you know if it works!
Old Aug 28, 13, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BroomTraveller View Post
WOW!!!! I was searching for one way discount codes from Louisville to Nashville and came upon this forum. I certainly hope the Big 10 code works because it is HUNDREDS of dollars less than what I have been finding.

Thank you!!!!! Will let you know if it works!
Your odds are very, very good.
Old Sep 1, 13, 11:38 pm

Going to try it soon
Old Sep 20, 13, 8:40 pm

There is a Ohio State code without insurance. It is specifically for personal leisure rentals for all faculty, staff, students, & retirees. Code is XZ38140.

Gives same discount as the Big 10 code on one ways.

See site: http://hr.osu.edu/osura/discounts.aspx
Old Sep 20, 13, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Even without codes, I'm finding that some rentals from (a) a downtown car rental location in major metropolitan area to (b) an airport rental location in a major airline hub city 1-8 hours away can be pretty good value without any large one-way drop-off fees. Recently found this to be the case for a Chicago to MSP rental and have also seen this in the NYC and DC areas as well.
Old Sep 21, 13, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinbee View Post
There is a Ohio State code without insurance. It is specifically for personal leisure rentals for all faculty, staff, students, & retirees. Code is XZ38140.

Gives same discount as the Big 10 code on one ways.

See site: http://hr.osu.edu/osura/discounts.aspx
Interesting. I'll do some research on this in the next couple of days (I have some one-ways booked) and see if I can duplicate your results. This would be quite helpful. Always better not to get insurance you're not really eligible for.

EDIT: Yup, it works! Unless somebody can tell me a reason not to, I'm going to book this rate instead of the "old" Ohio State rate when I need it. It seems safer to not have the insurance.

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Even without codes, I'm finding that some rentals from (a) a downtown car rental location in major metropolitan area to (b) an airport rental location in a major airline hub city 1-8 hours away can be pretty good value without any large one-way drop-off fees. Recently found this to be the case for a Chicago to MSP rental and have also seen this in the NYC and DC areas as well.
Also interesting. It wouldn't surprise me if this is the case, but I'd also assume it's unpredictable. As you know, random car rental rates (as opposed to codes that have fixed, negotiated prices) can be "anything" at any given time. If nothing else, you're likely saving the crazy local car rental taxes which usually only apply to airport pick-ups.

Last edited by iahphx; Sep 21, 13 at 6:49 pm
Old Sep 23, 13, 11:01 am

Has anyone come across a rental agency that rents pickup trucks 0NE-WAY? The moving companies (eg., U-haul) are way too expensive for a one-way one-day rental.

Thanks.
Old Sep 23, 13, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iowa guy View Post
Has anyone come across a rental agency that rents pickup trucks 0NE-WAY? The moving companies (eg., U-haul) are way too expensive for a one-way one-day rental.

Thanks.
Jeez, I could imagine that being a tough one. Are there any associations that offer good "moving" discounts? I gather from what you're moving that you couldn't just shove it into a minivan?
Old Sep 23, 13, 5:10 pm

Nope, I'm buying a 4-wheeler that is located 500 miles away. I'd like to fly to St. Louis then put the 4-wheeler in the back of the truck then drive it home.

Most of the car rentals companies rent pick up trucks but then won't do it one-way for some reason.

Search this Thread