FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old (Classic) Slogan, "Come Fly the Friendly Skies Again", Returns to the New UNITED.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:24 am
spin88

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by fly18725
I like the campaign (and know I will be attacked for my opinion). This helps re-build the brand and allows United to promote areas where it adds value for frequent fliers (network, mainline hard product, employees) under a common tag line. As noted in the article, this is aspirational and there is real risk under delivers (as opposed to Delta, which literally has to not climb to fail at delivering on its tag line).

It is disappointing (but not unexpected) that so many are quick to disparage new branding - the very thing they've been demanding for so long.
First, I too like the ads. They are well done, attractive. Much better than the PS crap with the ice cream sunday, let alone the CO "we can take you to x on a RJ" campaign. But, its a wonderful shell with nice evocative images and underneath it is? What? A slogan that rings false and untruthful is never a good thing. Had they matched it with a roll-out of service improvements it would have been a good start on rebranding. But rebranding takes changes (for the better) you can tout, and I don't see UAL making any effort in that department.

Second, I find your happiness about this ad to be rather confusing... Weren't you just saying...

... Innovation and creativity have an important role in finding ways to run a leaner and more efficient operation. I wouldn't advocate pulling back advertising , but focusing on branding and advertising is not a good use of resources.
What a difference a day makes (another old slogan)...

I don't disagree with the premise, but I think the argument is a bit hollow considering that until today, the commonly held position on FlyerTalk was that management should have focused on advertising and branding, rather than dedicating efforts to integration and operations.

The Core of UA's Problems: No Innovation, No Creativity

Weak brand that is easily forgettable
When you participated in these threads you at a very basic level did not understand what UALs customers (and that is what folks on FT are) were saying.

I don't think a single person on this board has ever suggested that United should focus on just selling itself, rather people have commented that UAL needs something to sell, and a combo of Chase selling the "Your in" Geek (now replaced with some busty chick with a weird dimpled smile) with major down grades to service was not doing it.

The entire point of these threads was that a brand/advertisements needed to be linked to something, which (a) other than the Olymic ads, COdbaUAs ads were not, and (b) needed to reflect the reality that passengers are seeing and experiencing and as important hearing from others.

The "friendly skies" campaign is very powerful. It ranks in the top 100 advertising slogans of all time. http://www.taglineguru.com/survey05.html (here at 66). And the problem is that it conjures up a lot of memories and experiences. It is well known in adverting that using these type of old slogans is a major risk in that performance is measured against the expectation of the slogan/brand and what it meant in the past, and if not met product that might be acceptable is rejected. The American Car companies found this out to their detriment.

That UAL would chose to reach for this slogan now, without putting in place either a very solid operational performance and while still cutting product quality is just beyond me. It smacks of "what else can we do" and a fundamental amateurish view of advertising.

Does UALs current management actually think that associating the current UAL [with a goal of being on time 80% of the time, a fee based system of money raising, and its current (poor) soft product and ability to address IRROPS] will work? Do they think that the UAL they created matches the slogan? If so, then they are dumber than I thought.

Originally Posted by BearX220
A lot of us believe branding and marketing are intrinsic to the success of the airline, and find the events of the last two years tragic. But I don't think anyone here has argued that branding and marketing alone, decoupled from the actual customer experience, can redeem a bad airline. UA suffers from operational mediocrity, a demotivated and apparently undisciplined employee base, and an apparently adversarial view of customers, the example being set at the highest levels. Not terribly friendly, no matter what the ads say.
I agree, no one has said what the UAL defenders believe people believe, instead the strong view from former champions of UAL and UAL customers on this board is that UAL needs to improve it product and service and link it to a revamped brand/marketing.

Alas this move says to me that UAL's "savvy" management either actually believes they meet the "Friendly Skies" theme (which is scarey about how out of touch they must be) or believe they can put a storied brand of lipstick on this pig and no one will notice its a pig.

Last edited by spin88; Sep 20, 2013 at 10:29 am