FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you have a minimum room size that is acceptable?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 4:18 pm
SanDiego1K
Community Director Emerita

Do you have a minimum room size that is acceptable?

I've been predominantly a chain hotel person. I have status in a number of chains. I get upgraded and rarely face a small hotel room. Thus, I haven't paid much attention to sq meters or sq ft. Recently, though, as I book more luxury hotels, I've realized I need to be mindful about it. I've had some rooms under 20 sq meters. If my husband is with me, it's a totally unacceptable size. We're bumping against each other trying to get thru the room.

I'm still trying to decide what the minimum is for me. Hotel websites give a dimension that includes the bathroom space. Thus, a number can feel very different in one hotel versus another depending on the split between the bathroom and the bedroom. And the number can feel very different depending on how well the hotel lays out the furniture. So, this number is very soft. I've decided 25 sq meters is the minimum that I want, and I'll be happier at 30 sq meters and above.

This really matters when I stay at luxury hotels. I need to book the room in which I will be happy to stay. Yes, there are sometimes Virtuoso upgrades and the like, but I don't count on them. It's frustrating when a hotel website does a very poor job of explaining the various room categories and their sizes.

What about you? Do you think about room size when you book? If so, what size do you seek?