FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice on Tri-Star vs. Air Boss
View Single Post
Old Sep 18, 2013, 3:38 pm
N1120A

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by vaterp
Hey all, So i am plagued with the same comparison questions as many people seem to be and I'm looking for advice of people that own them vs. the factors I believe are most important to me (God how i wish i could run down to a store and try them out for myself).

Things I really like about the Tri-Star:
* I like the zippered pockets for organization.
* I like the rings and potential to buy keystraps, etc.
* I like the backpack handles... If i really one bagged it, then i would have a very heavy bag because I have a large and heavy labtop.
* Past the tri-star, im not too sold on their brain cells for labtops. They seem really expensive and very short on organizational options. I dont believe this would be big enough to fit any other kind of briefcases....

Things I really like the air-boss:
* I like the ruggedness (based on the better warranty)
* Its a little bigger, so I figure i could fit more computer stuff in the middle to go with my large 17" labtop.
* On the above point, It seems like this bag might be big enough to fit the CPA or metro - which I really like (more then braincell) and if i wanted to save some money initially, might even fit my current DELL backpack, which i could pop out and take to customer sites (assuming its not too heavy then)
- It could get really heavy... and a frequent travel destination - london heatrow - is one VERY long walk.

* The CPA or metro, seem much nicer then the braincell, and other tom bihn briefcases would be a two bag solution when combined with the tri-star.

So i guess it comes down to me that I like the extra pockets/zippers for organizational purposes of my main bag.... but the air-boss seems more 'expandable' for 1bag with computer options....

Any real world opinions...?

Thanks!
A loaded Air Boss can comfortably hold a Red Oxx Metro, loaded with laptop and accessories, in the center pocket.

Originally Posted by John Isaac
I have both bags and love both but there are clear differences. The Tristar is much smaller and it swells like a bloated tick if you try to put more than just a few items in it. The Air Boss holds much more and does not swell up. However, with no back pack straps, it will wear your shoulder out very quickly if you carry too much in it.
Originally Posted by vaterp
If the air boss can hold much more, but then you can't carry it -- well it kinda negates its main advantage... no?
1) I'm a strong guy and can one bag with an Air Boss, inclusive of my laptop and all its gear, without an issue. I can see it being an issue for smaller people.

2) The Red Oxx Claw strap is actually really helpful because it doesn't slip. Slippage is what often makes it hard to carry something. That said, if you really want to make a heavy load easier to carry, I would buy the Air Boss and swap out the Claw strap for the Tom Bihn Absolute Strap. My Red Oxx CPA is rather heavy, but putting the Absolute on it made it much easier to carry.