Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Advice on Tri-Star vs. Air Boss

Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Hey all, So i am plagued with the same comparison questions as many people seem to be and I'm looking for advice of people that own them vs. the factors I believe are most important to me (God how i wish i could run down to a store and try them out for myself).

Things I really like about the Tri-Star:
* I like the zippered pockets for organization.
* I like the rings and potential to buy keystraps, etc.
* I like the backpack handles... If i really one bagged it, then i would have a very heavy bag because I have a large and heavy labtop.
* Past the tri-star, im not too sold on their brain cells for labtops. They seem really expensive and very short on organizational options. I dont believe this would be big enough to fit any other kind of briefcases....

Things I really like the air-boss:
* I like the ruggedness (based on the better warranty)
* Its a little bigger, so I figure i could fit more computer stuff in the middle to go with my large 17" labtop.
* On the above point, It seems like this bag might be big enough to fit the CPA or metro - which I really like (more then braincell) and if i wanted to save some money initially, might even fit my current DELL backpack, which i could pop out and take to customer sites (assuming its not too heavy then)
- It could get really heavy... and a frequent travel destination - london heatrow - is one VERY long walk.

* The CPA or metro, seem much nicer then the braincell, and other tom bihn briefcases would be a two bag solution when combined with the tri-star.

So i guess it comes down to me that I like the extra pockets/zippers for organizational purposes of my main bag.... but the air-boss seems more 'expandable' for 1bag with computer options....

Any real world opinions...?

Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:28 pm

I have the Western Flyer, which is the Tri-Star without the back zipper space. I also have the backpack straps - they are a lifesaver (ok, a back-saver) on trips with layovers. Since I travel by myself, I prefer a backpack to a rollerbag - easier to maneuver in the bathroom, etc. I also have the Brain Cell; I agree that they're not geared towards organization. What sold me on it was a review that said their laptop in a Brain Cell survived a rollover car accident.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 2:14 pm

I have both bags and love both but there are clear differences. The Tristar is much smaller and it swells like a bloated tick if you try to put more than just a few items in it. The Air Boss holds much more and does not swell up. However, with no back pack straps, it will wear your shoulder out very quickly if you carry too much in it.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

If the air boss can hold much more, but then you can't carry it -- well it kinda negates its main advantage... no?

Originally Posted by John Isaac
I have both bags and love both but there are clear differences. The Tristar is much smaller and it swells like a bloated tick if you try to put more than just a few items in it. The Air Boss holds much more and does not swell up. However, with no back pack straps, it will wear your shoulder out very quickly if you carry too much in it.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by vaterp
Hey all, So i am plagued with the same comparison questions as many people seem to be and I'm looking for advice of people that own them vs. the factors I believe are most important to me (God how i wish i could run down to a store and try them out for myself).

Things I really like about the Tri-Star:
* I like the zippered pockets for organization.
* I like the rings and potential to buy keystraps, etc.
* I like the backpack handles... If i really one bagged it, then i would have a very heavy bag because I have a large and heavy labtop.
* Past the tri-star, im not too sold on their brain cells for labtops. They seem really expensive and very short on organizational options. I dont believe this would be big enough to fit any other kind of briefcases....

Things I really like the air-boss:
* I like the ruggedness (based on the better warranty)
* Its a little bigger, so I figure i could fit more computer stuff in the middle to go with my large 17" labtop.
* On the above point, It seems like this bag might be big enough to fit the CPA or metro - which I really like (more then braincell) and if i wanted to save some money initially, might even fit my current DELL backpack, which i could pop out and take to customer sites (assuming its not too heavy then)
- It could get really heavy... and a frequent travel destination - london heatrow - is one VERY long walk.

* The CPA or metro, seem much nicer then the braincell, and other tom bihn briefcases would be a two bag solution when combined with the tri-star.

So i guess it comes down to me that I like the extra pockets/zippers for organizational purposes of my main bag.... but the air-boss seems more 'expandable' for 1bag with computer options....

Any real world opinions...?

Thanks!
A loaded Air Boss can comfortably hold a Red Oxx Metro, loaded with laptop and accessories, in the center pocket.

Originally Posted by John Isaac
If the air boss can hold much more, but then you can't carry it -- well it kinda negates its main advantage... no?
1) I'm a strong guy and can one bag with an Air Boss, inclusive of my laptop and all its gear, without an issue. I can see it being an issue for smaller people.

2) The Red Oxx Claw strap is actually really helpful because it doesn't slip. Slippage is what often makes it hard to carry something. That said, if you really want to make a heavy load easier to carry, I would buy the Air Boss and swap out the Claw strap for the Tom Bihn Absolute Strap. My Red Oxx CPA is rather heavy, but putting the Absolute on it made it much easier to carry.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by carole_d
I have the Western Flyer, which is the Tri-Star without the back zipper space. I also have the backpack straps - they are a lifesaver (ok, a back-saver) on trips with layovers. Since I travel by myself, I prefer a backpack to a rollerbag - easier to maneuver in the bathroom, etc. I also have the Brain Cell; I agree that they're not geared towards organization. What sold me on it was a review that said their laptop in a Brain Cell survived a rollover car accident.
The Western Flyer is more like the Tri-star with the middle zipper space removed.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
A loaded Air Boss can comfortably hold a Red Oxx Metro, loaded with laptop and accessories, in the center pocket.

1) I'm a strong guy and can one bag with an Air Boss, inclusive of my laptop and all its gear, without an issue. I can see it being an issue for smaller people.

2) The Red Oxx Claw strap is actually really helpful because it doesn't slip. Slippage is what often makes it hard to carry something. That said, if you really want to make a heavy load easier to carry, I would buy the Air Boss and swap out the Claw strap for the Tom Bihn Absolute Strap. My Red Oxx CPA is rather heavy, but putting the Absolute on it made it much easier to carry.
This combo works better with the Tom Binh strap that it does the Red Oxx strap. Makes a major diff in comfort.

Uncle Dave
Old Sep 22, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
That's why I got the Skytrain. It's made by RedOxx, and is similar in size to the Air Boss, but with backpack straps. For longer trips I use my Skytrain, and for shorter trips, I use my Tristar.

Even with backpack straps, you have to be careful when you pack the Skytrain - just like with the Air Boss. You can pack so much stuff in there that it can get really heavy if you don't pay attention.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
The Western Flyer is more like the Tri-star with the middle zipper space removed.
I've never seen a Tri-star in person, so I was going from the description on the website:

"With room for most sizes of our Brain Cell, the center compartment of the Tri-Star provides a secure and protected place for your laptop."
(http://www.tombihn.com/travel_bags/TB0940.html)

My Brain Cell snaps into the rear compartment of the Western Flyer. Therefore I assumed that the center compartment of the Tri-star is the same as the rear compartment of the WF. (Not that it matters to the OP.)
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:37 am

I've never seen a Tri-star in person, so I was going from the description on the website:

"With room for most sizes of our Brain Cell, the center compartment of the Tri-Star provides a secure and protected place for your laptop."
(http://www.tombihn.com/travel_bags/TB0940.html)

My Brain Cell snaps into the rear compartment of the Western Flyer. Therefore I assumed that the center compartment of the Tri-star is the same as the rear compartment of the WF. (Not that it matters to the OP.)
Yeah. It's not a big deal. The Tri-Star has three sections: back opens all the way so the bag opens up flat, middle opens partially for you to insert a laptop or other stuff from the top, but doesn't let the bag open flat, front is the same as in Western Flyer. The Western Flyer has two compartments: back just like Tri-Star and can open up flat, and front.

The Tri-Star has Brain Cell snaps, too, but I don't remember if they're in the middle or back compartment. There are also straps to hold your clothes down in the back.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
I have both a Red Oxx Air Boss and the Tom Bihn Aeronaut. I had ordered the Tri-Star, but returned it. To me, the Tri-Star is not a good size. It's too large to be used as a computer briefcase, and it's too small to be a true "one bag" solution, unless you are an ultra-minimalist traveler. The Tri-Star expands outward very quickly and can looked way overstuffed. While it's only several inches longer in length, the Air Boss seems much roomier than the Tri-Star. So for my money I definitely recommend the Air Boss over the Tri-Star.

I like both the Air Boss and the Aeronaut. I am not a true "onebagger" as I also travel with a computer briefcase. I much prefer traveling with two bags - neither of which is packed full - versus one bag that is bulging at the seams.

I actually use the Aeronaut more than the Air Boss. Depending on what you are looking for, you might want to add the Aeronaut to your selection process.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:44 pm

I have both the TriStar and Air Boss.

For trips longer than three days or for trips that don't require a suit, sportcoat or a number of dress shirts, I take the TriStar.

Longer trips and more dressy clothes, I take the Air Boss.

Both are great bags, the TriStar is easier by a little to handle and store. I feel lighter and more maneuverable with the TriStar.

The AirBoss is also easy to handle. It just gets used for more business like trips.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Digits
It's too large to be used as a computer briefcase, and it's too small to be a true "one bag" solution, unless you are an ultra-minimalist traveler. The Tri-Star expands outward very quickly and can looked way overstuffed.
You're very right. I like the Tri-Star for that exact reason. The bloat makes it look ugly, so it forces me to pack less. I've found that I've become a lighter traveler this way. However, I do see that there are times when you just can't pack that little, so a larger bag can be of use.

Recently, I've had to check-in a bag for some of my travels, so the Tri-Star stays nice and small while the heavy lifting is done by a checked-in bag.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
This combo works better with the Tom Binh strap that it does the Red Oxx strap. Makes a major diff in comfort.

Uncle Dave
+1. Air boss + Absolute strap. I thought the claw was terrible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.