FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Defining the mission of MilesBuzz; Adding a Flame Free Q&A Forum?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:13 pm
HansGolden

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by kipper
If it's not creating a new forum, then it needs to be changed, as the post currently says, "Add a new "Information Desk" forum at the top of the list of forums, with the subtitle "New Member Q&A and Award Travel Advice", subject to revision over time by the Community Director as the best uses of the forum become more clear."
Agreed.

As far as cross-posting, what about having a wiki post, that is updated as new deals are added, etc.? That way, it's not cross-posting.
Are you suggesting having this Wikipost in Hot Topics or in the each FFP forum?

In any case, my basic response is that you're using a hammer to do a saw's job. Yes, you could maintain a wiki with a list of links to threads, but that's what a forum is for. It's a living, breathing, updating based upon interest expressed through posts. Older stuff naturally sifts toward the bottom.

I'm not suggesting banning things, I'm just saying that now, people who aren't interested in hot deals don't have to see it. If you change it, those who frequent the UA forum to find out about latest program changes, questions about if they can access the United Club, etc., don't have to see the hot deals.
Given the volume of FFP-specific deals currently posted in MilesBuzz, I don't think this will cause any angst if implemented. I can't imagine more than 1 or 2 topics being hot deals in an FFP forum. (That was my guess, but I went to look to substantiate. Currently there are 2 AA topics and 1 UA topic on the front page of Milesbuzz.)

Rather than see all of the hot deals threads moved into the specific airline forum, why not create subforums for the airlines in MilesBuzz, to try to organize the forum?
Wait, is this a serious suggestion or a joke/rhetorical point? You're not seriously suggesting 50 subforums of Hot Topics? They would have next to no traffic.

I don't see how dumping threads into existing forums is going to do much, other than make those forums more chaotic. If you're after organizing MilesBuzz, then organize it, but don't just dump things into other forums and say, "See, we cleaned up MilesBuzz." While you may have accomplished your mission in cleaning MilesBuzz (the kitchen), you've not really "cleaned" the kitchen, but rather, have simply scattered the dirt and pots and pans to all the other rooms of the FlyerTalk house.
That IS organizing to move FFP-specific threads to their proper homes. As it is it's totally ambiguous whether a United mileage earning deal* should be placed in MilesBuzz or in the United forum. It falls under the aegis of both. It's not going to cause chaos or clutter to move threads discussing an FFP's deal to the FFP's forum. How is that clutter?

* Even though I'm adopting your "deal" language, the history of MilesBuzz posts and the wording of nsx's motion make it clear that deals are only a very small part of it.

ETA: I would like to also point out that this cross-threading only affects a small percentage of threads in MilesBuzz as evidenced by the fact that only 3/26 topics on the front page are FFP-specific. The vast majority of MB threads would stay fully within Hot Topics. However, I do invite you to come up with a criteria that would determine whether an FFP-based item (deval, deal, promo, etc) should be posted in Hot Topics or in the FFP forum. If we did it your way, how would you structure that?

If cross-posting is allowed, then I'd like to see TalkBoard also increase the post count necessary to access CC and OMNI to 360 posts as a preventative measure. In light of one of the recent threads there, where a trade for 6 GPUs probably went bad, I'd think that if cross posting is allowed, it would be good to increase access requirements.
I would suggest proposing that as a separate motion.

In all seriousness, OP posts (threads) make up 6.3% of the posts here on FT. MilesBuzz makes up 1.4% of the posts on FT. Are you seriously suggesting that an allowance that allows a 0.0882% increase in posts warrants a 100% increase in post requirements?

I'm not discounting your idea that we should increase the post requirements; perhaps we should, but I don't think allowing dupe threads between MilesBuzz and the FFP forum will move the needle on posting requirements.

Last edited by HansGolden; Sep 18, 2013 at 1:19 pm