FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fairmont Pacific Rim or Fairmont Waterfront?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:57 pm
Jasper2009
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jerrydus
Hey all:

My wife and I will be spending 4 nights in Vancouver next month with our 6 month baby and we are hestitating between staying at Fairmont's Pacific Rim or Waterfront properties. Both look very nice and have good reviews on Tripadvisor...

However Pacific Rim is a bit more pricey so I'm wondering if it's worth the difference.

Also, I intend to use a suite upgrade certificate so I was wondering which hotel would offer the best value for an "entry level" suite (i.e. those given for those certificates). Ideally we want a suite with separate living space in which we will be able to put our baby to sleep while keeping space for us to have dinner without waking up our baby!

Thanks in advance for your input!
The Fairmont Waterfront is a nice new-style Fairmont hotel (and I have stayed there several times), but the Fairmont Pacific Rim is a notch better in just about every category: better service IMO, larger and more modern rooms etc.

Both hotels seem to enjoy re-naming the room/suite categories (probably to irritate me), but unless something has changed the Waterfront will upgrade you to Westcoast Suite (450sq.ft.; semi-private living area) when using a suite upgrade cert.

At the Pacific Rim the suite upgrade depends on availability and time of year IME. There have been some reports of FTers who received a "junior suite" while others have had no problems getting a Harbour View suite (very nice, spacious 900sq.ft. one-bedroom suite with two full bathrooms).

Even if you end up getting the junior suite, it should be at least as nice as the Westcoast Suite at the Waterfront.