Fairmont Pacific Rim or Fairmont Waterfront?

Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*Elite; FPC Platinum
Fairmont Pacific Rim or Fairmont Waterfront?

Hey all:

My wife and I will be spending 4 nights in Vancouver next month with our 6 month baby and we are hestitating between staying at Fairmont's Pacific Rim or Waterfront properties. Both look very nice and have good reviews on Tripadvisor...

However Pacific Rim is a bit more pricey so I'm wondering if it's worth the difference.

Also, I intend to use a suite upgrade certificate so I was wondering which hotel would offer the best value for an "entry level" suite (i.e. those given for those certificates). Ideally we want a suite with separate living space in which we will be able to put our baby to sleep while keeping space for us to have dinner without waking up our baby!

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jerrydus
Hey all:

My wife and I will be spending 4 nights in Vancouver next month with our 6 month baby and we are hestitating between staying at Fairmont's Pacific Rim or Waterfront properties. Both look very nice and have good reviews on Tripadvisor...

However Pacific Rim is a bit more pricey so I'm wondering if it's worth the difference.

Also, I intend to use a suite upgrade certificate so I was wondering which hotel would offer the best value for an "entry level" suite (i.e. those given for those certificates). Ideally we want a suite with separate living space in which we will be able to put our baby to sleep while keeping space for us to have dinner without waking up our baby!

Thanks in advance for your input!
The Fairmont Waterfront is a nice new-style Fairmont hotel (and I have stayed there several times), but the Fairmont Pacific Rim is a notch better in just about every category: better service IMO, larger and more modern rooms etc.

Both hotels seem to enjoy re-naming the room/suite categories (probably to irritate me), but unless something has changed the Waterfront will upgrade you to Westcoast Suite (450sq.ft.; semi-private living area) when using a suite upgrade cert.

At the Pacific Rim the suite upgrade depends on availability and time of year IME. There have been some reports of FTers who received a "junior suite" while others have had no problems getting a Harbour View suite (very nice, spacious 900sq.ft. one-bedroom suite with two full bathrooms).

Even if you end up getting the junior suite, it should be at least as nice as the Westcoast Suite at the Waterfront.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FPR suites are great and very spacious - we went there with our toddlers twice and all aspects of traveling with kids were well addressed at the property. You have to accept though that this is a city hotel with a rather lively bar scene in the lobby area so don't expect a lot of peace and quiet in public space.
(Westin bayshore may be a better, more "resorty" option from that standpoint but FPR is a much better hotel)
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:47 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Pac Rim... no question. Amex and Virtuoso have 4th night free at Pac Rim until 31 Dec, that should helps costs.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
We've stayed at the water front suite before and basically its two regular rooms through a connecting door which is just fine. I guess for a baby, this would be good to shut two doors, which gives more of a noise barrier. Plus it is a bit cheaper at the Water Front.

Pac Rim is without a doubt a great situation for suites. If you can afford the extra $$$s, this would be first choice. Had the pleasure of visiting the hotel last November and can't say enough about the hotel. Make sure to get a suite higher than the fourth floor to get some water view. Best to have the sixth floor or above.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: AP*SE, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, FPC Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Totally Pacific Rim - no question it's worth the extra expense, particularly if you appreciate a more modern, 'cleaner', design.
We had a Harbour View (with cert) back in Feb, and it was absolutely stunning.
Agree with the lobby bar scene comment though, it's 'lively' and trendy, not a quiet relaxing area. Willow Stream is, mind you!
Old Dec 21, 2013, 5:07 pm

I have stayed at both this year, both booked through Amex FHR, and I used a suite upgrade cert at the Pac Rim. For room/suite quality there is no comparison. go with the pac rim. I was staying with my baby and I found the lobby of the Pac Rim, too sophisticated, night clubby, for enjoying a relaxing meal with my baby. For this aspect I would go with the waterfront as it was more my/my baby's speed.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:43 am

Traveling with my 15 year old son this fall (father/son trip)- we will be doing sightseeing- just staying a couple nights- which hotel would you recommend of these two?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by off2rome
Traveling with my 15 year old son this fall (father/son trip)- we will be doing sightseeing- just staying a couple nights- which hotel would you recommend of these two?
Well, the two hotels are 100m apart, so it doesn't make a difference in terms of location.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Well, the two hotels are 100m apart, so it doesn't make a difference in terms of location.
Jasper- Thanks for the response. Anyone have any additional insight in to which would be best for this trip?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jasper- Thanks for the response. Anyone have any additional insight in to which would be best for this trip?
I'm very familiar with both properties (having spent >70 nights between the two properties), but any advise would very much depend on what you're looking for / how much you're willing to spend.

If the rates are identical I'd always choose the Pacific Rim (which is one of my favourite Fairmont properties), but there are obviously more variables.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I'm very familiar with both properties (having spent >70 nights between the two properties), but any advise would very much depend on what you're looking for / how much you're willing to spend.

If the rates are identical I'd always choose the Pacific Rim (which is one of my favourite Fairmont properties), but there are obviously more variables.
Thanks - cost is not the main issue, looking for something with good proximity to sightseeing and a good concierge. Nice pool that is open in October
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks - cost is not the main issue, looking for something with good proximity to sightseeing and a good concierge. Nice pool that is open in October
Well, as mentioned above, the two properties are <100m away from each other, so discussing proximity is redundant.

The Pacific Rim has a pretty awesome pool (incl. cabanas and a pool bar).

Concierges at both properties are excellent IME. Concierges at the Pacific Rim may be slightly better / well connected (if that's what you're looking for) while the concierges at the Waterfront may have somewhat more time to focus on each guest (since guests are slightly less demanding).

IMO both hotels are excellent, and if you get a renovated room at the Waterfront, there's not a big difference in terms of the rooms. The main difference is that the Pacific Rim is the more fancy hotel / "the place to be and be seen". You just need to spend an evening in the lobby bar people-watching and you'll understand what I mean.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Pac Rim, don't look any further.

This coming from someone who had over 700 nights at the Waterfront
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Pac RIm. Not even a question.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.