FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:51 pm
ozstamps
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Yes I feel sorry for the bartenders. This nickel and dime lunacy is not of their making, and tips are the mainstay of their income. I would not stiff these guys for dumb decisions upon high.

I recall when that quantum leap occurred a few years ago, when booze was finally FREE in RCC - after decades of charging for it all. (Gasp - now THERE is a novel market leading concept - free drinks in a Business Lounge!) Before that one needed drink chits or cash.

There were a few limited and petty lame beer offerings at that time, but things like Sam Adams etc were pretty soon among them, and a few acceptable choices were on offer. Fine.

I have no huge issue with charging for premium liquor and premium wine - that's mildly OK as long as some basic choices are still free in each case.

But Bud Light and only Bud Light - that is a disaster thought bubble. UA has lots of those in recent years. Barely thought through mind explosions by someone, and not work-shopped via folks with brains.

Anything with the word "Light" or "Lite" on the label simply does not pass for beer to the great bulk of beer drinkers. Period.

The cost to UA to have an "international" looking full strength name choice as well, like Heineken is near zero extra per glass. Each keg costs the same to them.

Lets hope those emails keep on going to the Brass.