FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Risk of Loss in MS [Consolidated]
View Single Post
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:49 am
corporateassociateneedsmiles

Originally Posted by wagon297
Over the weekend, i bought 2x$500 vanilla reload cards at CVS, and i lost one of them. I called the number on the back of vanilla card and they told me they treat the card as cash, there is no way to recovery or stop payment on the card. they also asked if i have the card serial no. which i don't have, there is only last 4 number of the card printed on the CVS receipt. I called Chase (the credit card i used for purchase) and they told me since this is instore purchase and it's a giftcard, they can't dispute the charge or claim insurance. I called CVS to ask them stop the payment to vanilla, they took my information and call me back within 10 business days.
Is there anyone has the same situation? what i need to do?
thanks in advance.
I was on the other side of the equation back in May and I asked a similar question to both the card "processor" and the store where I presumed it was purchased (found it lot outside store in parking lot). I assumed the card had never been loaded and someone "stole it". Well in fact it was loaded. Store took my name/number down in case the person returned (never was contacted again by store). Called card processor to see if they could contact owner or put hold on card. Card processor told me that they could not track who purchased the card, and that they could put a "hold" on the card if I faxed in a copy of back of card and the 10 digits on bottom. Based on discussions with card processor, I determined that you can put a "freeze" on card, but you better hurry before money is removed (once money is removed, and without copy of card and receipt, they told me "good luck").

Here is what you will need I was told when I was dealing with them with different circumstances: (i) 10 digit code on bottom of card, (ii) store transaction log (you can have Chse request this), it will show actual 10-digit card loaded, amount, purchase method, time, location, method of signature, etc.), (iii) notarized affidavit that the card was lost/stolen and that you want the card frozen. Hope this helps. Btw - tread lightly with Chse since they could decide to shut you down if you push too hard on your request or explain why you want request.