FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - overnight at ADD - Addis Ababa airport
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2013, 2:32 pm
elf618

Programs: UA Primier Gold, DL nada, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum
overnight at ADDIS airport

To update-I think we got lucky but our award ticket ET NBO (y)-add with 18hr connection to LH add-fra (j) got us 2 hotel room vouchers at the Hilton with 3 meal buffets included and upon arrival at the Hilton the desk agent asked if I'd stayed there before. My hhonors gold data was pulled up and we were given a room on the executive floor, fruit tray and lounge access with our day room.

At the airport there was a crowd at the transfer desk and no one manning the star gold/cloud nine line. Initially I was told that I would need to pay $70/pp for the transit visa/hotel package but we were not charged.

It seemed the only other transit option would be to buy a single entry visa on arrival if one didn't already have a multientry visa. They cost $50 usd so the Hilton package is still a good deal despite the hassle and potentially long wait at the transfer desk.

When I have had paid y daylong transit a few years ago, I was taken to the gvt midrange hotel the "wabe shebele" I wouldn't pay to go there-though it's old and run down, it's simple and ok. I'd probably just taxi to the Hilton or one of the day spas and enjoy the gym/spa if I was looking for a low key layover outside of the airport.