FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - new low in armrest behavior / non-passenger-of-size
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:05 am
angra

Programs: DL FO 1MM
new low in armrest behavior / non-passenger-of-size

Yesterday I got to experience a fun new low (to me at least) in armrest behavior. Maybe this is old pat to you guys here, but I thought you might find it entertaining.

Sitting in a 3 person row in Delta/EC on a md(88/90?), in aisle seat. Early morning flight ATL->DC. Passenger in middle seat when I arrived, very typical looking traveler, wearing business attire, looking asleep with his elbows spread out across both armrests. Middle seat is no fun, so I yielded first choice of armrest position to the middle seat guy.

After take off and permission to use electronics, I got out my laptop to handle a few emails, and while moving my elbows/arms back in order to type, discovered that his elbows are spilling well into my seat. He's still apparently asleep, so I just gently pushed outward with my arm until my elbow was pinned against the inside of the armrest (i.e. completely within my seat).

At this point middle pax flipped out - jerked his elbows back into my arm, asked if I had a problem, said we will have a problem all flight if I don't stop, then called over FA to complain about me. He argued extensively that since he flies all the time and knows what's rude that he was entitled to relief from me. FA observed the facts on the ground and very politely told him that I was entitled to my seat, to suck it up, and then offered him another seat, which he declined.

He was not a big guy, maybe 5-7 or 5-8, 150-175 based on a quick glance after deplaning. Just incredibly entitled. There are, of course, things I could have done to keep the overall situation more calm, but I was really taken aback and surprised - I've never before have a seatmate go ragey over me claiming my own seat.