Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

new low in armrest behavior / non-passenger-of-size

Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO 1MM

Yesterday I got to experience a fun new low (to me at least) in armrest behavior. Maybe this is old pat to you guys here, but I thought you might find it entertaining.

Sitting in a 3 person row in Delta/EC on a md(88/90?), in aisle seat. Early morning flight ATL->DC. Passenger in middle seat when I arrived, very typical looking traveler, wearing business attire, looking asleep with his elbows spread out across both armrests. Middle seat is no fun, so I yielded first choice of armrest position to the middle seat guy.

After take off and permission to use electronics, I got out my laptop to handle a few emails, and while moving my elbows/arms back in order to type, discovered that his elbows are spilling well into my seat. He's still apparently asleep, so I just gently pushed outward with my arm until my elbow was pinned against the inside of the armrest (i.e. completely within my seat).

At this point middle pax flipped out - jerked his elbows back into my arm, asked if I had a problem, said we will have a problem all flight if I don't stop, then called over FA to complain about me. He argued extensively that since he flies all the time and knows what's rude that he was entitled to relief from me. FA observed the facts on the ground and very politely told him that I was entitled to my seat, to suck it up, and then offered him another seat, which he declined.

He was not a big guy, maybe 5-7 or 5-8, 150-175 based on a quick glance after deplaning. Just incredibly entitled. There are, of course, things I could have done to keep the overall situation more calm, but I was really taken aback and surprised - I've never before have a seatmate go ragey over me claiming my own seat.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Pax are just a slice of life. Jerks everywhere = jerks on aircraft.

If it's really bad and FA intervention doesn't help, ask FA to have Captain request the flight be met by law enforcement on arrival to deal with assaultive pax.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 7:25 am

I've met all kinds. You have passengers of size who squeeze themselves into the middle seat and take none of the arm rest space. Then you have skinny jerks who spread themselves out into your personal space.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Indeed, my experience with larger seatmates has been overwhelmingly positive.

We made it through flight without further incident, though I wish I had asked for the seat he was offered. I was too flustered in the moment to think of it. I told some friends that if that was the worst thing I had to deal with, it would be a good day.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K

Low class behavior. He probably was a platinum who didn't get his upgrade and was pissed to get a middle seat.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: Delta, United
Wow nicely, handled. The person did all the heavy lifting by making an azz of themselves.

About the only thing to add is that had I thought fast enough I might have added that yes there will be a problem if you do that again as I will consider it assault and have the plane met by the police.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Wow nicely, handled. The person did all the heavy lifting by making an azz of themselves.

About the only thing to add is that had I thought fast enough I might have added that yes there will be a problem if you do that again as I will consider it assault and have the plane met by the police.
I so have the mental image that you were one of the kids who complained to mommy "Billy is touching me" when you were 8 years old. Anything changed since then?
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by Flubber2012
I so have the mental image that you were one of the kids who complained to mommy "Billy is touching me" when you were 8 years old. Anything changed since then?
Originally Posted by joedish
+1. S/he does seem like a whiner.
Seriously??? The OP was trying to work on a laptop, which is tough enough to do in a domestic economy seat without having to make room for someone else's elbow, and appears to have made a diligent effort to NOT disturb the interloper. It was space hog who flipped out, not the OP.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat
The OP can't really be at fault here when the other passenger was offered another seat but declined.

Same thing happened to me on a London Underground train, where the other passenger decided that he needed half my seat and armrest to work on his 17" computer. There he also could have had another seat but declined.

As this story goes, he eventually cocked back his elbow and elbowed me in the chest, after which (aided by the log on screen on his computer and his blog) I filed assault charges with the London Transport Police. Of course, he claimed it was my fault, so it wasn't dropped, but the police in closing the issue with me said he sure wasn't happy when he was taken down for questioning.

It's not about whinging, it's about respecting people's personal space.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I've had similar situations with elbows in my seat space, but never experienced a reaction when I kept my elbows inside the armrests. I find it very frustrating when I'm in a middle seat and the person in the aisle/window takes the armrest and has their elbows over the edge of the armrest. The passenger in the middle seat has no place to move.

I guess a lot of people forget about the Golden Rule.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by Flubber2012
You might reread what the OP wrote - otherwise one might have the mental image that you were one of the kids who failed at reading comprehension
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Often1
Pax are just a slice of life. Jerks everywhere = jerks on aircraft.

If it's really bad and FA intervention doesn't help, ask FA to have Captain request the flight be met by law enforcement on arrival to deal with assaultive pax.
This sums it up nicely. I shouldn't be surprised that FA involvement was required here, but I am. I tend to feel that personal space extends upwards and downwards within the dimensions of the seat, but I'm willing to give latitude with respect to the armrests, as long as folks are willing to share.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:43 am
Original Poster

to be clear, I did not call in the FA - he did. I just kept my arms inside my armrest. It wasn't an issue at all until I actually needed to use that space. When we were in take off and could easily put our arms in various positions, it was pretty easy to coexist.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
You should never raise your voice or argue. The appropriate response to a rude pax should always be a measured gentle response.

1. Grasp the offending pax by the back of the collar gently but firmly with your left hand.

2. Carefully drag the pax up the aisle to the crew seats.

3. Borrow the PA mic and advise all other pax to fasten their belts.

4. Hook your right leg around the bulk head or other convenient structure

4. With your right hand, deftly rotate the aircraft door handle and then jettison the a$$hole into the slipstream.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
The best solution I have found in this situation is to place a folder or a couple of magazines vertically at the edge of my seat, right next to the armrest. I try to do this as non-confrontationally as is possible under the circumstances; I take out the folder or magazines, glance at the contents for a minute, and then place them beside me. This concedes the entire armrest to the other passenger, which is fine so long as I don't have his or her elbow in my chest for the duration of the flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.