FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Very OT: Tyler Brule's comments about FT availability on BA flights ex SIN
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:17 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Ah yes, I've kept a close interest in this individual ever since one FTer sent me a PM and asked my if I was Tyler Brűlé in disguise. I subsequently saw him on a BA service and discovered that, along with Duran Duran's Simon le Bon, it's his real name.

Here's an extract:
Originally Posted by Tyler Brűlé
After a layover in Singapore, I boarded the last British Airways service up to London and settled in for the 12-ish hour flight. I asked the crew for a copy of the FT’s weekday edition, and a few minutes later the BA staffer returned with a nicely folded bundle of pink paper.

“Oh but it’s the Tuesday edition,” I said, with some surprise. “Do you have today’s, by chance?”

“I’m sorry, let me check but I don’t think so,” the flight attendant replied. “I’ll be right back.”

A couple of minutes passed and the woman returned empty-handed. “It seems we only load the papers in London,” she explained. “I guess you can’t get this particular paper in Singapore.” At this moment it’s hard to say what face I pulled but I know I sat upright and leaned forward and into the aisle slightly. In a very low voice, I started to explain the problem with this particular scenario. “This paper is, in fact, printed locally and, as it’s close to midnight on Wednesday, the Thursday edition is almost available. Don’t you think you should be loading papers locally? Just like you do food and jet-fuel?”

“Hmmmmmmm? I dunno. There must be a reason for it. I’m not sure,” she said. “I thought it had something to do with not being able to get hold of local papers overseas.”

“No, no. That’s not the reason,” I said. “I imagine it has something to do with costs. Anyway, thank you.”

Fortunately I passed out before we even pushed back and somewhere over India I woke up, put the seat in recline and dozed the rest of the way back to Heathrow.
The rest of the canny Canuck's article can be read here:
The joy of a clear diary - FT.com

And I thought this was why the Kindle had been invented.