FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bali - Recommendations
View Single Post
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:43 pm
mapboyPHL

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
Originally Posted by MegatopLover

As for new discoveries, I'd say two things: amankila and the joy of cycling in Bali. Amankila was spectacular, even if it was the most expensive hotel/resort room we've ever had. Our cycling trips out from amandari and amankila were all thoroughly enjoyable. amankila has a recommended 10-km loop that goes through several nearby villages and stays off the main coast road for most of the ride. It was somewhat hilly but didn't have too many super-steep parts. From amandari, we went through or around Ubud and over toward Goa Gajah; that trip had some hilly bits but nothing too daunting. Both of them were done with nothing but a map and my sense of direction. Mr. Megatop called amandari to pick up him and his bike while I finished my ride, once from Ubud town and once from the Chedi Club, both times with no problem, though I did beat him back to the hotel once.

Spending time cycling is definitely on my list for our next visit. You get more in touch with the island and its people than if you're in the comfort of a car. And you can stop and smell the burning palm fronds whenever you want. Just be careful on the roads. Traffic can be thick at times and motos can stop, go, and decelerate unpredictably.
I just wanted to "bump" this thread and see if anyone else has cycled through parts of Bali. I saw a company in the Lonely Planet (C. Bali) and one in the NY Times (Bali Ecocycling). My partner and I don't want to trek around the island per se, but see some of the sites (especially the rice patties) on a slower pace. It seems more "structured" which is fine - with planned itineraries. Any one have any experience with either of these companies? They get good reviews on Trip Advisor. Would a non-guided cycle excursion be better? I will also check out Dewa Marco for other outings to Ubud etc. (we will be staying at the Conrad Hilton)