FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 7-11 VR purchases
View Single Post
Old Jul 28, 2013, 6:13 pm
craz
Suspended

Originally Posted by raccah
On a slightly different bent - please explain the deep desire for using INK at 7-11? I have done it a few times and I am now wondering why?

The current 5x freedom is a no brainer, as is Discover (if 7-11 is 5x there too). But both are capped at 1500 (AKA 3 VR).

So - in the end, what are we really getting? We spend 500 bux and get 1K points (plus fee). The fee is 3.95 so we are coming off with what, 20% bump 1.20% for the trouble of fighting a 7-11 agent to give you the card? I get it VR are God - but why? What am I missing here. This is not 5x like OD or OM (again excluding the Freedom and Discover for 1500 bux). This is a simple 2x which after the fee is really a 1.20x - so for 20% we jump through hoops?

Heck for that it would be easier to take a club card or explorer card and just buy the GC for free from chase directly - what am I missing?

For those that have the TYP cards - not for me. Otherwise, I see no bump from any card available today (and most TYP cards are not even available) and with most people's propensity to charge till they drop - the cat and Citi will kill you!

I guess I am wondering what this drive is all about? I agree it is fun and feels good, but once you break it down what is the true appeal?

Thanks for explaining ahead of time
If you crunched the #s and they dont work for you, just dont do it.Or if you dont find the end result being worth your time and effort.

Many folks will get on a plane get to their destination and catch the next flight right back. Since I have the time to spend at places,in 30+ yrs of flying I can recall 2 times that I did just that. Its not to my liking so I dont do it since it doesnt make sense to me. Thusly if MS doesnt make sense to you dont do it

That said if I can spend say $474 and earn 120k (120 VRs @ $500 = 3.95 x 120 = $474) and that will get me a Biz tkt to my favorite Intl destination where it usually costs $1600 for an ElCheapo coach tkt Id say its a great deal. At non 7 stores it would cost $948 still a good deal, even lower costs if you get a new CC and it has a nice bonus attached to it, where youd never do the Spend w/o MS.