7-11 VR purchases

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 15, 14, 2:48 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: McSam18
Wiki Link
Just an update for those of you who may be reading this thread for the 1st time... 7/11 no longer accepts C.C. for VR purchases.

Also there are people who are claiming they are still buying VR's at 7/11's, however, they are not willing to say what city they are in. I would suspect that this isn't true, since 7/11 has hard coded their cash registers to NOT accept CC for VR's, however, you can still purchase VGC with a CC.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 28, 13, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
7-11 VR purchases

Went to 7/11 to buy a couple of VR's with my Ink (had done it in the past with no issues)

Little credit card machine came up with a "purchase denied" message. I tried one VR and same message.

I called Chase and they said it wasn't on their side. They couldn't see the attempted purchase. It never got to them. The rep I talked to said she had 3 calls in the last 30 minutes about the same thing. (I didn't mention what I ws buying or how much the charge was for)

I went back into the store and tried some candy and that went through with no problem.

Interesting...

Just an update for those of you who may be reading this thread for the 1st time... 7/11 no longer accepts C.C. for VR purchases.

Last edited by pkerr; Sep 18, 13 at 2:43 pm
Old Jul 28, 13, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by pkerr View Post
Went to 7/11 to buy a couple of VR's (had done it in the past with no issues)

Little credit card machine came up with a "purchase denied" message. I tried one VR and same message.

I called Chase and they said it wasn't on their side. They couldn't see the attempted purchase. It never got to them. The rep I talked to said she had 3 calls in the last 30 minutes about the same thing. (I didn't mention what I ws buying or how much the charge was for)

I went back into the store and tried some candy and that went through with no problem.

Interesting...
bought two VR's in los angeles w/o any problems. do freedom purchases at 711 count as 5x?
Old Jul 28, 13, 2:39 pm
Moderator, Manufactured Spending

Programs: Delta Silver. Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by webazoid View Post
bought two VR's in los angeles w/o any problems. do freedom purchases at 711 count as 5x?
If the merchant is coded as a gas station, then it would be 5x. If the 7-11 has gas pumps, then almost certainly it is considered a gas station. I think most purchases from 7-11 w/o gas station are not getting 5x, but there are some mixed reports on that issue.
Old Jul 28, 13, 3:13 pm

I came straight here after the same thing happened to me.

I will offer a couple of additional data points/theory building points:

I am in DFW

A) I have used the declined credit card at a different location 3 days earlier (Chase Ink)
B) I have used a different credit card 2 days earlier at this location just fine (Discover)

I am going to try a couple others..

Potentially, they could be limiting the same credit card making multiple choices at the same time, or they've wiped out credit options for the cards in DFW stores.

What happened was..

Brought card up there. Cashier said "These are debit only now." I said "I've done it before, can you try?" He said "Sure." Swiped the Reload, let me run my card, the second I hit "credit" the credit card machine hit decline. He said "See? I apologize." I thanked him for trying.

Last edited by horseymen; Jul 28, 13 at 3:17 pm Reason: More detail
Old Jul 28, 13, 3:24 pm

I am near ORD and I had the same experience today. I was able to purchase a bean yesterday at this same 7-11 and then today the screen said declined. The first swipe was with Amex and the second swipe was with Chase. Both cards have had a lot of spend on them and have worked at 7-11 previously. After she took away the bean, the bananas went through on my Chase card. I am guessing that my store is no longer allowing cc's as this is the same message I got when trying to load the Western Union Prepaid.

One more note:

Amex: Was declined immediately. I didn't even get a chance to push the credit button.
Chase: Was declined after I pushed the credit button.

Last edited by Corridor!; Jul 28, 13 at 3:26 pm Reason: More Detail
Old Jul 28, 13, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
I just brought one from Chicago loop area without any issue, provided as another datapoint. The purchase was made with Chase Freedom.
Old Jul 28, 13, 3:28 pm

Here's a data point: Near DTW. I used my Ink to buy 2 VGC (not VR), each $500 + $4.95 activation fee this morning around 1am. Worked just fine.
Old Jul 28, 13, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by jake66 View Post
If the merchant is coded as a gas station, then it would be 5x. If the 7-11 has gas pumps, then almost certainly it is considered a gas station. I think most purchases from 7-11 w/o gas station are not getting 5x, but there are some mixed reports on that issue.
store i went to was coded 5541 from visa merchant code site.

do 5542 or 5541 give 5x?
Old Jul 28, 13, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jake66 View Post
I wouldnt say that, Ive gotten 5X w/o any gas pumps in sight. And some places instead of repair bays its now a business. Some places its 7-11 gas and 7-11 store, others it can be BP gas and 7-11 store, while others its just a 7-11 store and all 3 earned 5x
Old Jul 28, 13, 4:25 pm

Just got denied for beans at a 711 that I had success at as recently as yesterday. Wasn't a card issue, I was able to complete a separate transaction for some convenience items.

Will try again tomorrow for a lesser amount. Would be a shame if this was dead, I'm still a bit short of enough money on BB to pay rent. I guess I could transfer from my bank as a last resort, but I'd rather be earning points
Old Jul 28, 13, 4:45 pm

Is is possible that the POS collects the cardholder name and uses that as part of the velocity check? The information is obviously available each time you swipe and would account for the purchase being denied even when using different cards. Does anyone have any AU or employee cards to test this out?

I will give it a try next time I stop by 7-11. Some of my cards display my full name while others have a shortened version of it.
Old Jul 28, 13, 6:56 pm

On a slightly different bent - please explain the deep desire for using INK at 7-11? I have done it a few times and I am now wondering why?

The current 5x freedom is a no brainer, as is Discover (if 7-11 is 5x there too). But both are capped at 1500 (AKA 3 VR).

So - in the end, what are we really getting? We spend 500 bux and get 1K points (plus fee). The fee is 3.95 so we are coming off with what, 20% bump 1.20% for the trouble of fighting a 7-11 agent to give you the card? I get it VR are God - but why? What am I missing here. This is not 5x like OD or OM (again excluding the Freedom and Discover for 1500 bux). This is a simple 2x which after the fee is really a 1.20x - so for 20% we jump through hoops?

Heck for that it would be easier to take a club card or explorer card and just buy the GC for free from chase directly - what am I missing?

For those that have the TYP cards - not for me. Otherwise, I see no bump from any card available today (and most TYP cards are not even available) and with most people's propensity to charge till they drop - the cat and Citi will kill you!

I guess I am wondering what this drive is all about? I agree it is fun and feels good, but once you break it down what is the true appeal?

Thanks for explaining ahead of time
Old Jul 28, 13, 7:05 pm

Everyone has their own risk tolerance. I'm comfortable with VR's, and VR's at 1000 points for 3.95 is better than VR's 1000 at 7.90. I'm not comfortable with the work necessary to cash out prepaid $200 dollar cards at a high enough level to mirror what VR's do. I go buy VR's and come home and that's it. With OD/OM, I have to convert to money orders or go to Wal-Mart (For a 1k max) - and it just doesn't seem like it's worth it. I pass 10 7-11's and 5 CVS's that have VR's on my way to and from work. I add 5-7 minutes a day to my commute to hop in and snag 1 or 2 on my way to and from work.

Some people have way more complex systems/time/value than I do - and that's fine. The idea of getting to put 5k on Ink for 10,000 points with 10 7-11 stops over 30 days was very appealing. We may have hit a hiccup, though..
Old Jul 28, 13, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raccah View Post
On a slightly different bent - please explain the deep desire for using INK at 7-11? I have done it a few times and I am now wondering why?

The current 5x freedom is a no brainer, as is Discover (if 7-11 is 5x there too). But both are capped at 1500 (AKA 3 VR).

So - in the end, what are we really getting? We spend 500 bux and get 1K points (plus fee). The fee is 3.95 so we are coming off with what, 20% bump 1.20% for the trouble of fighting a 7-11 agent to give you the card? I get it VR are God - but why? What am I missing here. This is not 5x like OD or OM (again excluding the Freedom and Discover for 1500 bux). This is a simple 2x which after the fee is really a 1.20x - so for 20% we jump through hoops?

Heck for that it would be easier to take a club card or explorer card and just buy the GC for free from chase directly - what am I missing?

For those that have the TYP cards - not for me. Otherwise, I see no bump from any card available today (and most TYP cards are not even available) and with most people's propensity to charge till they drop - the cat and Citi will kill you!

I guess I am wondering what this drive is all about? I agree it is fun and feels good, but once you break it down what is the true appeal?

Thanks for explaining ahead of time
If you crunched the #s and they dont work for you, just dont do it.Or if you dont find the end result being worth your time and effort.

Many folks will get on a plane get to their destination and catch the next flight right back. Since I have the time to spend at places,in 30+ yrs of flying I can recall 2 times that I did just that. Its not to my liking so I dont do it since it doesnt make sense to me. Thusly if MS doesnt make sense to you dont do it

That said if I can spend say $474 and earn 120k (120 VRs @ $500 = 3.95 x 120 = $474) and that will get me a Biz tkt to my favorite Intl destination where it usually costs $1600 for an ElCheapo coach tkt Id say its a great deal. At non 7 stores it would cost $948 still a good deal, even lower costs if you get a new CC and it has a nice bonus attached to it, where youd never do the Spend w/o MS.
Old Jul 28, 13, 8:14 pm

there are other banks (beside the big ones) offering 5x in gas stations and groceries (incl gas, utility, phone cell etc) even unlimited $, albeit for limited times...

These add diversification to TYP.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: