FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JNB-DUR on SAA J + BA J and the magnificent Oyster Box Hotel
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:20 pm
SAtraveller

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
The Oyster Box Hotel

The Oyster Box was originally opened as a guest house in the 1890's and soon after went through several decades of decay. It was only recently resurrected and refurbished. It's part of the Red Carnations Hotel group, as well as Leading Hotels of the World. I found this 5* hotel to be among the finest of any hotels I've ever stayed at in the world.

The front entrance... the valets are always ready to help out with even the smallest detail, including walking you to your car with an umbrella in the rain.

The Lobby

The Main Staircase

The reception area

The Oyster Bar... a great place to have tea and cake. Or stronger cocktails...

The restaurant where breakfast is served.

Another area where High Tea is served, with a good tea and vast assortment of cakes and treats.

One of the atriums... I loved the fans.

Sengeta the resident cat... you usually saw him walking around in the hotel during the day, but one cool evening I was very amused to see him sitting on a recently arrived (and warm) hood of a red ferrari. I doubt the owner would have approved, but we all found it very amusing.

Beverage cart alongside the pool

The Gardens

The beach facing facade of the hotel

The Main Pool area and pool bar

And of course... a creative marriage proposal made on the beach that day (it worked well on the victim hehe...)

Last edited by SAtraveller; Mar 17, 2015 at 3:44 am