FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:48 pm
hnf8705

Originally Posted by tomsam
Even if you don't have a specific goal in mind, you should have a target airline (or hotel) in mind to determine an AOR strategy. Do you?

For instance you mentioned you have the US Airways card. Do you have a lot of US Air miles? These would eventually become AA miles so going for Citi AA cards would add to that pile, while a CSP would not yield points that transfer to AA miles.

On a side note - I was not aware that Citi AA visa was extremely churnable.

I guess I am kinda targeting American/US Air right now.. I have been following the Citi AA forum since early March and have 1 personal Citi Visa. I'm workin on getting more.. I dont have a lot from US Air, but i have their card and have taken 2 roundtrip flights with them. Im hoping to get a 2nd card again this year. I dont have ANY hotel cards yet. And ive held off specifically because I dont have a real plan for them.

Side note - It is extremely churnable if you consider getting the SAME EXACT card TWICE IN 8 DAYS as extremely churnable!!

Originally Posted by lmwong1977
I wouldn't say Citi AAs are highly churnable (that would be USAIR last year and plain Citi Hilton), more AOR friendly. Citi AAs have 18 month wait between closure of same type cards to be consider "new" but there are VS, MC, AMEX platinum, plus AA Gold and also Biz versions. You can apply for two - 1 pers plat and 1 biz (or AA gold) weeks apart as two browser trick died earlier this year - then 91+ days for another two of different type. So yes you can get AAs nearly year round but not the same exact card as they usually have "new accounts" T&C. Details in the wiki of the Citi AA post.

Yes those are the general Citi rules.. And the wiki does an excellent job of spelling out those rules.. However, the 50k link for the Personal Visa Platinum is NOT following those rules! You have to read the most recent pages of the forum though..

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Post where the Citi AA card is churnable, now the US Airways card has been reported as churnable in the past.
In the" http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-first-38.html "forum. FTM IkeEsq did an experiment and posted his results. It is on p.38. He posted on July 10th, 13 at 9:36am:

"Churning 50K cards
Recent Approval History:
12/09/2012 - 50K AmEx/Visa [Both] (Open)
02/24/2013 - 30K MC Gold [Ike] (Open)
02/24/2013 - 50K Biz [Ms Ike] (Open)
04/26/2013 - 30K MC Gold [Ms Ike] (Open)

Latest Applications:
06/29/2013 - 50K Visa [Ike] Instant Approval
07/01/2013 - 50K Visa [Ike] Deferred Step 3 - Declined too many Apps.

06/29/2013 - 50K Visa [Ms. Ike] Deferred Step 5, Approved on chat 07/02/2013
07/10/2013 - 50K Visa [Ms. Ike] Deferred Step 5, Approved on chat 07/10/2013

So I think, based on my own experiment, the current rule is one application per week. Also that the 50K is churnable immediately. All four of the recent applications were using the 50K Link in the Wiki.

I have updated the Wiki to reflect the one-week rule."

Others have reports of approval within the 18-26 month rule for this card as well. I'm plannin on applying again for this card tomorrow. I already have one that I got in March 2013. I just didnt know if i should make a mini AoR out of it..

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I keep saying this, I see more and more people without a plan on what they are getting the miles for, then they end up with lots of miles but do not have enough to really use them to the fullest.
I am not really to the point of having lots of miles yet.. And I'm only working with 1(ish)airline so far as mentioned above.. Im confident that by the time i have enough miles with American to go somewhere significant, i will have a plan!