View Single Post
Old Jun 23, 13, 6:32 pm
chollie
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by GatorAir View Post
You bring up a fair enough point. However, the distinction between the two (IMO) are as follows:

1. An attractive woman with a sleeveless top typically will be much more petite than a beef-roided male sporting a bro tank, making her less likely to brush her bare sweaty arms against you.
2. IANAD, but do not men typically perspire more heavily than women?
3. And while this may be subjective, women in a sleeveless top are typically doing so to dress comfortably, while said bros are for the most part trying to make some sort of silly fashion statement (look at my broceps, check out my crappy tribal ink, have a gaze at this awesome tan, don't you see how tough I look?, etc.)

I guess it is a combination of the apparel and the stereotypical social mannerisms the bro community expresses. I just do not understand why they have to make such a silly fashion statement (as said in #2) everywhere they go, and at least once in a while not dress like you are desperately trying to draw attention to yourself. Add in the rancid body spray and it is not a very pleasant experience rubbing broceps with them.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I have sat next to/seen more overweight middle-aged or older women in sleeveless tops than beefy men in tanks. And believe me, overweight women (particularly if they are of 'hot flash' age) can sweat with the best of them. Sweat doesn't have to stink. Even though the women aren't hairy, I do not want body contact with hot, clammy forearm skin on the arm rest.

Either way, the best defense against such encounters is to cover your own bare skin with long sleeves.

My point is that the kind of guy who is offensive in a bro tank (or his female counterpart) is probably offensive no matter what he wears. If he's a stinky slob in a tank, he's probably not significantly better in the middle of winter (unwashed hair smell, unwashed stale grease and sweat reeking hoodie).

OTOH, there are guys (and women) who wear sleeveless wear, are tanned, fit, have tats, but don't smell, have good manners and are great seatmates.