FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anybody Else Collect States?
View Single Post
Old Jun 20, 2013, 4:08 pm
CMK10
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CMK10
It's funny I was actually thinking of doing it the other way. Flying to Denver where I have a friend, then heading up into Cheyenne and east into the Black Hills from there. Either way though it sounds like gorgeous country.
Originally Posted by CMK10
Way to go!

I'm just behind you at 47, picked up Alabama on a long-distance train trip last week. While some might claim that might necessarily "count" not only did I hop off the train for a walk around Birmingham, but if you cross the entire width of a state via train you can see a lot of it, understanding its ecosystem, viewing its towns and cities and if you're like me, read up on its history meanwhile.

Just Alaska, Wyoming and South Dakota left for me, and I'm doing Alaska for my birthday this year.
Well I'm now at all 50. I got:

#48: Wyoming last September. I flew to Denver and me and two friends drove up to Cheyenne where we had lunch and saw the State Capitol

#49: Alaska last October. As mentioned above I did Alaska for my birthday...spent two days in Anchorage and had a great time.

#50: South Dakota last week. Amusingly, I did it exactly as I explained I would over a year ago

Now I want to go back to 16 or so states I consider "cheat states" where all I've done is driven across them, taken the train across them or briefly visited them (like Vermont which I got after driving to Brattleboro, having lunch, and coming home)