Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Anybody Else Collect States?

Anybody Else Collect States?

Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I'm up to 44: only missing Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Maine. (Yes, I know, I live so close to Maine I should just go there.) There are no states that I've only been in an airport, but there have been a couple of states (Mississippi, Wyoming, South Dakota, Kansas) where I drove into them, picked up a map, took a picture, and/or had a meal, and drove back out an hour or two later.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
I haven't seen the hobby of collecting states mentioned on FT. I do it...try to visit as many of the 50 US states as possible. I count a visit as being on the ground or in a building, car or train...it includes being on a jetway about 3 ft. from the plane during a brief stop in New Mexico.

My personal record? Visited all 50 states before 1-1-2000, and have done 35 since then...with four more expected next month.

I'll never beat the friend of a friend, who has visited every county in the US, but it's still fun

Do any other FT'ers keep track of states visited?

------------------
Middle_Seat
You can't fly to every one of 50 states on commercial airlines.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:30 am
mgi

Originally Posted by Yaatri
You can't fly to every one of 50 states on commercial airlines.
Thats interesting. Which state does not have an airport serviced by a commercial airline?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by mgi
Thats interesting. Which state does not have an airport serviced by a commercial airline?
I think that it is an interesting fact as well - and I think the answer is Delaware.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by KathinJax
I think that it is an interesting fact as well - and I think the answer is Delaware.
That is correct. DL has tried service to ILG (Wilmington, DE) but dropped it as it's too close to PHL. As of now, there is no commercial service to DE.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 4:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CMK10
It's funny I was actually thinking of doing it the other way. Flying to Denver where I have a friend, then heading up into Cheyenne and east into the Black Hills from there. Either way though it sounds like gorgeous country.
Originally Posted by CMK10
Way to go!

I'm just behind you at 47, picked up Alabama on a long-distance train trip last week. While some might claim that might necessarily "count" not only did I hop off the train for a walk around Birmingham, but if you cross the entire width of a state via train you can see a lot of it, understanding its ecosystem, viewing its towns and cities and if you're like me, read up on its history meanwhile.

Just Alaska, Wyoming and South Dakota left for me, and I'm doing Alaska for my birthday this year.
Well I'm now at all 50. I got:

#48: Wyoming last September. I flew to Denver and me and two friends drove up to Cheyenne where we had lunch and saw the State Capitol

#49: Alaska last October. As mentioned above I did Alaska for my birthday...spent two days in Anchorage and had a great time.

#50: South Dakota last week. Amusingly, I did it exactly as I explained I would over a year ago

Now I want to go back to 16 or so states I consider "cheat states" where all I've done is driven across them, taken the train across them or briefly visited them (like Vermont which I got after driving to Brattleboro, having lunch, and coming home)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.