FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Wrecks Young Man's Guitar After Forcing Him To Check It
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:25 pm
fastair

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by weero
What should CO's staff have done different then - when the plane is full, the overheads filled??? Kick someone's properly sized hand luggage out (as they did once to me) ?

I just don't see how this is any different from any other cracked bag case? There is no space, oversized item must be checked. This is neither unusual nor a "PR disaster". Luggage breaks all the time, especially if you fly UACO. Guitar owner appears overly whiny that their noise generator got dented. That's all.
Bravo! a) item too big, b) an exception was not made due to full bins (sure an exception when space permits is 1 thing, an exception where your failure to conform denies someone else their conforming item's space is wrong.) c) it wasn't packed properly given the fact that it exceed UA's published carry on size rules and ran a high probability of going where it should have gone to begin with, the baggage pit. d) it broke, e) UA will pay some damages. f) items break at times even when properly packed. When it happens it shouldn't be a news story. g) I'm going to boycott all future threads where a person attempts to bring on excess luggage and is required to check them (or leave them behind/take another flight where space isn't a premium) and they don't pack them properly and the natural result of improperly packed fragile items occurs.

Last month, I visited a small town in MX famous for their pottery and brought with me 2 hardsided containers filled with styrofoam, air bags, and bubble tape. I bought fragile pottery. I wrapped each piece in bubble wrap, filled the box with storofoam popcorn, then lined an outter box with styrofoam boards putting plastic bags of air layering the inner box. Of the 10 pieces I bought, 9 made it back successfully, the most fragile piece (and most expensive) broke. I am sad. I didn't run to the press, nor did I file a claim. Fragile items will break, it isn't newsworthy.

Last edited by fastair; Jun 10, 2013 at 10:31 pm