FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Places You Loved That No Longer Exist
View Single Post
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:44 am
Schmurrr

I miss the NASA Johnson Space Center that I visited as a kid. I went back a couple of years ago and was shocked at the condition of the Saturn V rocket (extremely weathered, with paint peeling off), the focus on rides and games for kids instead of history and knowledge, the lack of knowledge and enthusiasm about space displayed by all but one of the employees, and the degree to which visitors are isolated from really experiencing anything (e.g., the high glassed-enclosed catwalk over the astronaut training facility). The lack of knowledge shown by the "tour guides" was the worst of it. They just led people through buildings and rooms with barely a word of explanation. With the exception of the retired gentleman stationed in Historic Mission Control, who obviously had a passion for space, they couldn't even answer questions. Kennedy Space Center was far better (except that both have bad food courts).

Edit: I'm not surprised JSC didn't get a space shuttle. Given the condition of the Saturn V rocket...

Last edited by Schmurrr; Jun 10, 2013 at 7:23 pm Reason: typo