FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is your camera of choice while traveling?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:57 am
jpark1982

Right now I'm using the NEX-6 with the Zeiss 24 f/1.8 and love it. I also have the 18-55 kit lens but don't use that. The Zeiss makes even everyday pictures I take around the house just light up.

Before I settled on the NEX-6 I went through a ton of cameras in a short time. I started with the Nikon D600 directly off pre-order which was very nice but had the dust/oil issue that plagued the first batch. Also though if I'm spending $2,200 on a full frame, why not spend some more and get the big daddy, the 5DMkIII. Took that up for a weekend trip to Boston armed with the 24-105, GPS receiver, etc. After that weekend trip my wrist was sore with the weight of the full frame and the IQ wasn't what I was expecting from a close to $3,700 setup. Sure with proper RAW editing it would be better but I had higher expectations.

It was at that point that I started to look at mirror less and micro 4/3's. I actually had the Canon EOS-M on preorder but I had a weekend trip coming up so I got the NEX-6 since the 7 at that point was almost a year old and I heard rumors of a 7 replacement forthcoming.

So I'm pretty happy with the 6 but ill definitely look at the 7 replacement when it comes out later this summer/fall.