FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Quite the embarrasing experience for me on Sunday...
Old May 30, 2013, 2:12 pm
SeriouslyLost
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by diburning
Also, the reason why cell phones are not allowed during take-off or landings is because phones emit a signal during the transmission of text messages that can interfere with speakers (or in this case, the speakers in the pilots' headsets). Don't believe me? Put your phone next to a stereo that is powered on, as close to the magnet as possible, and play something that's quiet. Send or receive a text message, and you'll hear the noise loud and clear.
So what you're saying is that we shouldn't hold our phones right next to the headsets of pilots & send text messages during takeoff? Seems a reasonable request.

(BTW, most headsets are mylar diaphragms that run a dielectric current across them these days, not magnets. A cellphone signal can't make them resonate, sorry: it just doesn't have the power necessary. Also, during takeoff there're precious few conversations going on from the tower to any particular pilot. And even if the reason you give were true (& it isn't) it would also apply after landing when pilots are talking to the tower while moving to the gate. & yet airlines allow you to start with the phones the instant the plane lands.)