Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Quite the embarrasing experience for me on Sunday...

Old May 28, 13, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM

Let me preface this post by admitting 100% fault with what happened.

I just wanted to share what happened.

My fiance and I were traveling home from California. Were originally supposed to come back Monday, but decided to switch to a Sunday evening flight out of LAX instead of SNA. Checked the schedule and I saw that a 787 flight had been loaded... perfect.

We boarded and took our seats in BF. The plane probably had less than 50 people on it. This was obviously a training flight for crews... there was LOTS of crew on board.

Ok... after the door closed, my fiance was still on her phone. She was asked not once, not twice, but 3 times to turn her phone off. I then took her phone and turned it off. She wasnt on talking or anything, just looking at pictures. (she likes to push the envelope a bit)

Then, on our takeoff roll, I wanted to take a picture as we lifted off (Im a plane nerd.... I couldnt help it). Of course a flight attendant walked by during takeoff (which I thought was strange since they should be seated before take off roll commences). Phone went immediately off.

About 5 minutes after take off, the pursor stops by our seat and hands us each a piece of paper. The paper was a federal notice of violations and he then proceeded to tell us that the aircraft would be met by police upon arrival in Houston. He said we would then be taken into custody.

At that point my stomach dropped. I was in shock.

We were in 4A/4B, so right behind the galley. I heard him on the phone with the captain explaining the situation. By listening to his responses I could tell the captain was possibly pushing back a little bit. The conversation lasted about 2-3 minutes.

Right after that he comes back to our seat and says, "Why dont we just forget this ever happened." - or something of that nature. He then asks for the pieces of paper back. He tore them up and walked away. I did not have the chance to take a picture of the notice we were given... wish I had now as I dont exactly remember everything it said.

He came back a few minutes later and I profusely appologized and told him that we know the rules and were at fault. Told him it wouldnt happen again... just basically tried to smooth things over.

From that point on, he was beyond nice to the both of us. He came back to talk to us several times throuighout the flight and was extremely nice. My fiance wanted a snack box from coach and he wouldnt even let us pay for it saying, "oh no, you're GS, you dont have to pay for that." Upon exiting the plane, he shook both of our hands and even told my fiance to, "Take care sweetie!"

Overall just a strange (and potentially very bad) experience. Besides all of the drama, the pursor was awesome... the kind of FA you'd want on a long haul flight, no doubt.

Ok, please commence the flaming. Remember, I did preface the post by admitting guilt
Old May 28, 13, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Fascinating. I can interpret a few ways:

1. Pursor got a report from the FA, and processed it as per regulations, but otherwise still wanted to give you the proper GS experience.

2. Pursor wanted to report, but captain refused to go along with it (I imagine captain has to also report it, and talk with authorities), and pursor, slightly mollified, went above and beyond.
Old May 28, 13, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
I've heard of people getting scolded for not turning their phones off, but threatening pax with police action for failing to do so is a new one for me. I was on a flight once where one old lady had no idea how to turn her phone off; it rang pretty loudly when we were a couple of minutes from wheels down. I don't think she got so much as a stern talking to.
Old May 28, 13, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
I guess you told your fiance "Do as I say not as I do"
.....all kidding aside, this is exactly why travelers feel the flight crew has become hostile as they are not listened to even when an experienced traveler knows the rules. The crew has to do this many times over with other unruly fliers who think they know better or have DYKWIAitis. I am glad you kept your cool as did the PIC and hope a lesson was learned. Please pass this story onto other travelers so that mutual respect between flight crews and passengers can be mended.
Old May 28, 13, 2:08 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Gold (almost LT Plat), Hilton LT ♢, National Exec,
I'd be sympathetic if you weren't, as you already said, pushing the envelope. I think arranging the police to meet you was a bit overboard.

I'm sorry, but the whole electronics thing is so overblown, it borders on ridiculous. How is it that on a non-wifi configured A320, it's "dangerous" to not have my phone in airplane mode. But on an A320 with wifi, it's perfectly safe for me to use wifi?

I believe this whole rule is less about interference then it is to have undivided attention during takeoff and landing. Otherwise, why is it unsafe to have my phone on when we're taxiing from the runway, but not safe to have it on the way to the runway?

My hum-dinger of all time was on approach to Maui a few years ago, my wife and I were in 1AB on the 777. The man directly behind us in the window had his camera out as we were descending and was taking pictures. It was truly a camera--not a camera on his phone. A F/A came by and reamed the poor guy up and down to the extreme, "Sir, you're going to make this plane crash if you don't stop taking pictures!" I'm sure there's at least a few hundred people every day taking pics as they land on any one of the Hawai'ian Islands.

...I still snicker every time some of the older FAs make announcements and say, "all electronic devices need to be turned off at this time...Including phones, computers, pagers and calculators".
Old May 28, 13, 2:15 pm

Programs: 1K; Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec View Post

...I still snicker every time some of the older FAs make announcements and say, "all electronic devices need to be turned off at this time...Including phones, computers, pagers and calculators".
I'm tempted to use an electric razor and a voice recorder upon takeoff and see what happens.

http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/...fm?newsid=6275
Old May 28, 13, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by avi8tir View Post
Right after that he comes back to our seat and says, "Why dont we just forget this ever happened." - or something of that nature. He then asks for the pieces of paper back. He tore them up and walked away. I did not have the chance to take a picture of the notice we were given... wish I had now as I dont exactly remember everything it said.
Seriously, is that what you regret out of this experience?
Old May 28, 13, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DCEsquire View Post
I'm tempted to use an electric razor and a voice recorder upon takeoff and see what happens.

http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/...fm?newsid=6275
While not illegal, I'd not be happy with someone dry shaving right next to me.
Old May 28, 13, 2:28 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, 2MM, LT RCC

I'm sorry, but the whole electronics thing is so overblown, it borders on ridiculous. How is it that on a non-wifi configured A320, it's "dangerous" to not have my phone in airplane mode. But on an A320 with wifi, it's perfectly safe for me to use wifi?

I believe this whole rule is less about interference then it is to have undivided attention during takeoff and landing. Otherwise, why is it unsafe to have my phone on when we're taxiing from the runway, but not safe to have it on the way to the runway?
And, how many folks do you think don't actually power down their iPad, iPhone or laptop but stow it in "sleep mode"? So far, no "flight excursions" that I've heard of.
Old May 28, 13, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I'd just hope no one from the FAA is reading this:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/02/travel...d-strike-video
Old May 28, 13, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
People who don't turn off their phones and/or put it into airplane mode are simply going to drain their battery. The phone will constantly search for a cellular signal and not find one, so it will continue to search until it completely drains the battery.

Also, the reason why cell phones are not allowed during take-off or landings is because phones emit a signal during the transmission of text messages that can interfere with speakers (or in this case, the speakers in the pilots' headsets). Don't believe me? Put your phone next to a stereo that is powered on, as close to the magnet as possible, and play something that's quiet. Send or receive a text message, and you'll hear the noise loud and clear.

Now imagine hearing that noise in your headset when you're trying to talk to air traffic control.
Old May 28, 13, 2:42 pm

Programs: 1K; Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Bulldog83 View Post
I'd just hope no one from the FAA is reading this:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/02/travel...d-strike-video
Curious if anyone knows what fines can be levied for this type of situation?
Old May 28, 13, 2:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Power goes to people's heads and they make mountains out of molehills.......but, on the other hand, you sort of got what you deserved...and it did make a point with you. Rules are not just for everyone else.
Old May 28, 13, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DCEsquire View Post
Curious if anyone knows what fines can be levied for this type of situation?
The FAA is not really in the business of law enforcement against private individuals, and I find this quote incredibly bizarre:

"We have given consideration to all of the facts. In lieu of legal enforcement action (a civil penalty), we are issuing this letter which will be made a matter of record for a period of two years, after which, the record will be expunged," James Giles, FAA supervisory principal operations inspector, wrote in a letter to Cardone.
Old May 28, 13, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
... How is it that on a non-wifi configured A320, it's "dangerous" to not have my phone in airplane mode. But on an A320 with wifi, it's perfectly safe for me to use wifi?...
WiFi is fine as long as the phone is in "Airplane Mode". Them's the rules as I recall an FA stating them.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: