FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have you switched business away from Hilton?
Old May 10, 2013, 11:35 pm
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Rebelyell
I book much of my wife's travel, and she has been staying more with Marriott to take advantage of Megabonus, as well as staying elsewhere because of better offers. I'm urging her to stay with Club Carlson as much as possible, but she doesn't like Radissons and I don't blame her.

With that said, I expect her to requalify as Diamond this year. Just barely.

In reviewing her records earlier this year (after two months), I found that she had earned about 32,000 points for $1,200 in spending. We're staying in London this summer under the old schedule, and 32,000 points buys us a $300 hotel room. That's a 25 percent rebate! I can understand why the program had to quit being quite so generous. Don't have to like it, of course.
1. That "$300 hotel room" on points isn't really costing Hilton $300 -- it's probably costing Hilton less than $300, substantially less.

2. A 10%-25% rebate isn't that much, given the fact that hotels are giving such rebates to some TAs/OTAs.

I've been cutting over more bookings away from Hilton than before because of the devaluation, but my personal stays had already been cut a large degree some time back.