Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Have you switched business away from Hilton?

Old May 10, 13, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb

I just booked a 7 nights in Australia for an upcoming business trip at Hyatt and Marriott. Used to stay at Hilton city properties. Total loss to Hilton is $2300+ Also saved $100/night which is a bonus.

Anybody else who has actually shifted business as a result of the great devaluation?
Old May 10, 13, 9:20 pm

Nope. I'm kinda funny that way. I book hotels based on whether they're located near where I need to be. No other chain comes close to HH for my needs.
Old May 10, 13, 11:04 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
I book much of my wife's travel, and she has been staying more with Marriott to take advantage of Megabonus, as well as staying elsewhere because of better offers. I'm urging her to stay with Club Carlson as much as possible, but she doesn't like Radissons and I don't blame her.

With that said, I expect her to requalify as Diamond this year. Just barely.

In reviewing her records earlier this year (after two months), I found that she had earned about 32,000 points for $1,200 in spending. We're staying in London this summer under the old schedule, and 32,000 points buys us a $300 hotel room. That's a 25 percent rebate! I can understand why the program had to quit being quite so generous. Don't have to like it, of course.
Old May 11, 13, 12:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
I *did* stay at a holiday inn last night...

Eh, still flirting with other chains, but I do have almost 900k HH points, so it's hard to ditch them.
Old May 11, 13, 12:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
I book much of my wife's travel, and she has been staying more with Marriott to take advantage of Megabonus, as well as staying elsewhere because of better offers. I'm urging her to stay with Club Carlson as much as possible, but she doesn't like Radissons and I don't blame her.

With that said, I expect her to requalify as Diamond this year. Just barely.

In reviewing her records earlier this year (after two months), I found that she had earned about 32,000 points for $1,200 in spending. We're staying in London this summer under the old schedule, and 32,000 points buys us a $300 hotel room. That's a 25 percent rebate! I can understand why the program had to quit being quite so generous. Don't have to like it, of course.
1. That "$300 hotel room" on points isn't really costing Hilton $300 -- it's probably costing Hilton less than $300, substantially less.

2. A 10%-25% rebate isn't that much, given the fact that hotels are giving such rebates to some TAs/OTAs.

I've been cutting over more bookings away from Hilton than before because of the devaluation, but my personal stays had already been cut a large degree some time back.
Old May 11, 13, 3:03 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

No. I value the Diamond benefits more than the points.
Old May 11, 13, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post

1. That "$300 hotel room" on points isn't really costing Hilton $300 -- it's probably costing Hilton less than $300, substantially less.

2. A 10%-25% rebate isn't that much, given the fact that hotels are giving such rebates to some TAs/OTAs.
Unless you can actually use those internal Hilton rate or TA Rates, they are not really relevant. I evaluate point value based on the return on points calculated with the rate I have to pay.

The devaluation sucks big time, but what they did is just to bring the rate of return on points more in line with other hotel programs. 25% return is fantastic for customers, but not sustainable for Hilton.

Plus Hilton is the only program can get me diamond status with credit card spend. I have no chance making top tier with any other programs with my now reduced travel pattern. After more than 10 years of maintaining top tier status with at least 2 programs every year, I can no longer imagine myself paying for breakfast, and not being offered best room when checking in. So I will try to stay with hilton whenever possible, unless the rate already includes breakfast.

Last edited by presario1626; May 11, 13 at 5:25 am
Old May 11, 13, 5:39 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
Anybody else who has actually shifted business as a result of the great devaluation?
Yes. Not completely but Im being a lot more price sensitive
Old May 11, 13, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
Yup, it's all Holiday Inn for me for the last few months.
Old May 11, 13, 7:01 am

Eliminated quite a few stays at Hilton hotels and concentrate on better values more. The program drove a good percentage of spending activity and generated a lot of brand loyalty.
Old May 11, 13, 7:37 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Yup, for business stays I'm doing mostly Marriott properties. I'm even using a lot of priceline reservations. If there's a cheap Hilton property (Hampton/etc) nearby, I'm using them just to hit Diamond on stays. I have about 600,000 HHonors points, and it's nice to get the Diamond benefits when taking a vacation with my wife.

For quick personal trips, Hotels.com/Priceline is what I've been using anymore.

Originally Posted by presario1626 View Post
... I can no longer imagine myself paying for breakfast, and not being offered best room when checking in...
What do you do to be offered the "best room when checking in"? I've been Diamond many years and rarely offered the "best room". Sometimes an upgrade is offered, but usually I have to ask for it.
Old May 11, 13, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Pretty much all gone these days
I'm not aware of ever being offered "the best room". Diamond guests get an upgrade if available as determined by the property, which may be the next category up, a room on a high floor, a corner room, a room with a better view, a suite, or something else again. For me it's nearly always been the next category up, but I have twice had suites.
Old May 11, 13, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
What do you do to be offered the "best room when checking in"? I've been Diamond many years and rarely offered the "best room". Sometimes an upgrade is offered, but usually I have to ask for it.
I don't expect suite upgrade when I check in, so if I get it, I take as pleasant surprise. But my room preferences on my profile were granted pretty much everytime even though I always book the cheapest room available. The first time I ventured out of Hilton network and stayed at a Westin property as SPG gold after losing platinum status, I got put in a smaller room right next to the elevator overlooking parking garage with highway view, which will never happen if I were still platinum.

If I travel with my family when upgrade is more important, I either email hotel ahead of time to make special request, or pay for confirmed upgrade.
Old May 11, 13, 9:00 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I am still splitting my stays between Hilton and Hyatt. I will make Diamond at both again...

I avoid Marriott completely.

SPG lacks coverage , as does Hyatt....

IHG is just too inconsistent at lower levels....

As others have said, I vwlue benefits over points...
Old May 11, 13, 9:39 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I have been booking more SPG, but everything is about locations. HH has more locations where I go, so they are still my primary chain. But I will cut back to maybe 100-125 nights this year and up by SPG to 75 ish. SPG is making it easier with more 4 points in smaller cities.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: