FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)
Old May 10, 2013, 11:21 am
travelnlite84

Programs: UA GS, DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz Pres. Circle, Global Entry
Aaron,

In addition to splitting my 500,000 miles each year between United and Delta, my profession is the design of IFE systems. Delta and United are my largest clients (hence my shared loyalty).

I just finished personally overseeing the creation and approval of installation of PSU-mounted IFE (what United currently has on its A320 fleet) on over 100 Delta A320 family aircraft paid ENTIRELY with ad revenue. A complete IFE system paid for, content paid for, safety videos, CBP videos, Delta promotional videos, all provided for free both to the airline and subsequently the passengers as a result of a handful of ads presented inflight.

United's decision to remove this entire system from its aircraft and its ability to generate revenue and replace it with a tempermental-at-best streaming service from Gogo seems ill-advised.

Your passengers will suffer and the airline will lose needed revenue (in Delta's case, over 1.2 mn per month). I urge you to reconsider.

To the passengers who don't care about the video, I am with you generally, but your audio goes with it, and since most of you only fly United, you haven't experienced how painful the wi-fi streaming video can be...especially when it's offered for free (too many users at a given time) and is the only source of onboard entertainment...