FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)
Old May 10, 2013, 10:10 am
FlyWorld

Originally Posted by tryathlete
Where is the love on UA?
Does not exist. You haven't figured that out on your own?

Originally Posted by bse118
On your own device via streaming over WiFi. Which is quite clear in the OP.

I've flown more CO 737s than I'd care to. Last one was SFO-DCA in March. During which I turned off my screen after the safety video - and it remained off for the duration of the transcon. Certainly wasn't off/on over and over again.

In reality the on/off cycling you mention happens only when the FA's have to reset the DirectTV system, which is usually ONCE per flight.

I don't spend much time watching other peoples' screens, but to each his own.
I've never heard of such a thing, streaming WIFI video on a plane.

So, when do we get plugs? Is it one per seat?

Have you ever noticed how fast a battery is drained by using WIFI and watching a movie?

That is simply impractical unless the device is plugged in.

And, by the way, I thought WIFI was dangerous and would cause a plane crash? That's why they have lectured us for the last decade that we must turn off WIFI.

Now, all of a sudden, they've found a way to monetize it, so therefore it's become safe since they can make money off it?

As for the screens, they do turn them on, all the time, and the screaming advertising and other b.s. before the safety video is intolerable and they turn it back on in between each segment of screaming advertising before the safety video, which can be a long time.

And, I am bothered by the constant messaging that enters my peripheral vision from 20-30 other screens in my area. I hate it.

Originally Posted by catocony
I very much disagree with you there. A dropdown screen every 4 rows or so that's actually playing a movie or Anthony Bourdain or Big Bang Theory or whatever is far, far less intrusive than 150 screens in the seatbacks playing a very short loop of ads for six hours straight. I can dim my screen, I may be able to ask the person next to me to dim theirs if they're not watching it, but I can't do it to the passengers in the other 22 seats that are generally in my visual range.

I guess to sum up my feelings - Conited is trying to fix something that isn't broken in the name of increasing dollars. That's ok, but as the old saying goes, don't piss down my neck and tell me it's raining. A lot pmUA customers go out of their way now to get an Airbus because we don't like the 737s for a lot of reasons. Now, that option is disappearing. I doubt if too many pmCO customers seek out Airbuses, since they seem happy with the 737s and AVOD.

I like that nomenclature. Conited is becoming a grumpy, expensive version of a discount carrier that happens to fly internationally.
I've never once been bothered by the TV screens. They are out of my field of vision b/c I just don't look up, and as you say, they play content, not advertising.

CO has no class whatsoever. They're such money-grubbing cheapskates that they can't allow even a molecule of oxygen to be left in peace. Every fraction of every second, every single molecule of space on the flight, must be 100% devoted to selling, selling, selling, selling.

There's never enough money for them. Never enough. No matter what they get, they want more.

Can't they just let us sit down in peace and enjoy the flight in solitude? Is it so important that 1 in 100,000 flyers buys whatever junk they are peddling like snake oil salesmen on a 2am TV infomercial so they can irritate 100,000 people for 6 hours just to make 2 cents?

Is it ever enough?

So now there's nothing. We can either take a CR7 or a 737 or a Conified Airbus that's been converted into a new type of torture chamber.

And, the race to the bottom continues. They are determined to find the bottom. One way or another, they'll get there.

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I like that the streaming entertainment concept is so silly that mitchmu presupposed that it couldn't possibly be the case
Exactly. I could not even envision it.

Sure, this is a matter of opinion. Me - i read a good old fashioned paper book. I spend my days in an office staring at a screen - don't need to do the same when I'm on a plane.
Amen! How much nicer would it be if everyone on the aircraft just opened a book? And that was it. But, $mi$ek can't make more money from your butt in that seat reading a book. If there's not enough in it for him, he's got to get more.

Well if no-one's paying for IFE in the first place on pmCO 737 seatback screens, why does it matter if pmUA Airbi becomes on your-own device only? They're still not gonna pay for it - whether they have a device or not. In other words it doesn't matter if the pax doesn't have a tablet - if willingness to pay for the content is zero.*
I think this new stupid plan is brilliant, exactly for that reason. It's a non-event. Nobody's gonna do it. Then we get peace. At most, we'll see 2-3 people on the entire flight pay for the streaming content, and then their devices will be drained within a couple hours. And, who knows when the electricity will show up.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
And forget about using any sort of normal-sized laptop, even in E+. The protrusion from the magazine space is too great.
Absolutely, I've had no luck using my laptop on the LH flights with Recaro.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Man, people sure do get worked up around here...

So, 1" of additional pitch is worse?

When you board on one of these new aircraft, remove all the literature from the seat pocket and put it on the floor or in an overhead bin.
Is it more or less pitch? I thought we have less?

I also do that with the literature on all flights.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 10, 2013 at 12:13 pm Reason: response to deleted post