FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WARNING: domestic Argentina flights & resident fares
Old May 9, 2013, 6:03 pm
AA_EXP09
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
For those coming down to Argentina and wanting to visit other areas of the Country that will require domestic air travel, I would like to offer an update on the potential "gaming" opportunity that some folks will sometimes consider. This applies to travel on all carriers that serve the domestic market. For most folks here the two carriers in play will be Aerolineas Argentinas and LAN. I don't think the other small carriers have differential fares for non residents.

In the past, enforcement has been quite lax, and in most cases visitors that chose to play the system have been known to get away with buying cheaper tickets that are normally not eligible for those that are non resident.

Yesterday, on my return commute from work I hear a lengthy report on a radio talk show about the recent increase in fare checks for visitors that try to purchase and fly with these non eligible fares. It seems that Aerolineas (until now the best bet to play this game) has now gotten quite picky, so please take this new situation into consideration.

The report on the Radio spoke of 3 recent cases where the visitors were denied boarding, had to pay a fine/penalty fee and the equivalent fare difference (full fares in most cases). Of course, all these additional costs have to be paid with plastic so forget the Peso game at the blue rate... so in the end, this can get VERY expensive. I suggest folks read up on the rules and make informed decisions..... its OK to play the game, but if you do and get caught, be prepared to face the Music and have to pay up if you still wish to travel.
How can they know whether you are resident?
Domestic Argentina tickets don't require SFPD.