Reload this Page >

WARNING: domestic Argentina flights & resident fares

WARNING: domestic Argentina flights & resident fares

Old May 7, 13, 12:16 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Post WARNING: domestic Argentina flights & resident fares

For those coming down to Argentina and wanting to visit other areas of the Country that will require domestic air travel, I would like to offer an update on the potential "gaming" opportunity that some folks will sometimes consider. This applies to travel on all carriers that serve the domestic market. For most folks here the two carriers in play will be Aerolineas Argentinas and LAN. I don't think the other small carriers have differential fares for non residents.

In the past, enforcement has been quite lax, and in most cases visitors that chose to play the system have been known to get away with buying cheaper tickets that are normally not eligible for those that are non resident.

Yesterday, on my return commute from work I hear a lengthy report on a radio talk show about the recent increase in fare checks for visitors that try to purchase and fly with these non eligible fares. It seems that Aerolineas (until now the best bet to play this game) has now gotten quite picky, so please take this new situation into consideration.

The report on the Radio spoke of 3 recent cases where the visitors were denied boarding, had to pay a fine/penalty fee and the equivalent fare difference (full fares in most cases). Of course, all these additional costs have to be paid with plastic so forget the Peso game at the blue rate... so in the end, this can get VERY expensive. I suggest folks read up on the rules and make informed decisions..... its OK to play the game, but if you do and get caught, be prepared to face the Music and have to pay up if you still wish to travel.
Old May 7, 13, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, ICH Plat RA, Hyatt Diamond, LAN Prem Silver
Sound advice. You can add Andes Lineas Aereas to those 2. I just entered some sample dates between BA and Salta and the locals would pay 1349 pesos while foreigners would pay a whopping 4350. I flew with them back in March and the price differential wasn't that much but they do ask you whether you are a non resident on their website.

May I suggest visitors look into using their Lanpass or American miles for domestic flights within Argentina. The cost is normally 20k at Lan and 12k at American and there is normally a fair amount of availability and the ability to change the date at no cost. Great value in my opinion.
Old May 7, 13, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by boar View Post
May I suggest visitors look into using their Lanpass or American miles for domestic flights within Argentina. The cost is normally 20k at Lan and 12k at American and there is normally a fair amount of availability and the ability to change the date at no cost. Great value in my opinion.
I also suggest that people add the domestic segments to their international tickets. Sometimes there isn't any savings, but other times, it prices very nicely, like a stopover.
Old May 7, 13, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
I also suggest that people add the domestic segments to their international tickets. Sometimes there isn't any savings, but other times, it prices very nicely, like a stopover.
Indeed...
Old May 7, 13, 3:38 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Originally Posted by boar View Post
Sound advice.

Just back & that's what I did: booked 4, 6k o/w AA award tks on LAN for flying around Argentina. Most domestic flts connect through Buenos Aires AEP & fairly easy & cheap way to travel. For total 24K & $40, I flew: AEP-FTE/FTE-AEP-MDZ/MDZ-AEP-IGR/IGR-AEP. Thought it was a very good use of miles & all easy flights. Not sure if you can do this online; I just called AA & had them do award booking with LAN.
Old May 7, 13, 6:24 pm

I will be flying between BA and MDZ in June (LAN) and booked my tickets via expedia. I'm assuming the "gaming" would have been done through the local websites and I should be ok?
Old May 7, 13, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clemsontiger View Post
I will be flying between BA and MDZ in June (LAN) and booked my tickets via expedia. I'm assuming the "gaming" would have been done through the local websites and I should be ok?
Expedia.... I doubt that they would sell you a non eligible fare. Perhaps to triple check you should ask one of the LAN gurus by providing them with the exact fare code/basis that you purchased.
Old May 7, 13, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Azul/OW ?
Good heads up.

It's pretty obvious on the LAN and AR sites that you are buying a resident fare so you don't have any excuse if you turn up at the airport and are refused boarding. Plenty of posts have been posted on this forum before warning people about doing such a thing.
Old May 8, 13, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
As far as I know, you can use the Argentina LAN's version and get the resident fare without any problem and use the online check in or kiosk, but it will work as long you don't have drop any luggage...
Old May 8, 13, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by fedechat View Post
As far as I know, you can use the Argentina LAN's version and get the resident fare without any problem and use the online check in or kiosk, but it will work as long you don't have drop any luggage...
Given that you must put your passport info in to get the ticket issued and to get the boarding pass issued, it is not difficult for these to be red-flagged while boarding (or at bag drop).
Old May 8, 13, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Given that you must put your passport info in to get the ticket issued and to get the boarding pass issued, it is not difficult for these to be red-flagged while boarding (or at bag drop).
You beat me to the same response....

Self Serve stations are better than flesh & blood if you are gaming the system, but that still doesn't mean that you are home free. Still, if someone does go ahead an does give this option a try, it would be great to hear a report on how things go.
Old May 8, 13, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
That option have been working for the last few years. After the ticket is issued, you can do the online check-in 48hs before your departure. The gate agent will not check what fare code you paid, just do not register any luggage to avoid the check-in counter
Old May 9, 13, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post
For those coming down to Argentina and wanting to visit other areas of the Country that will require domestic air travel, I would like to offer an update on the potential "gaming" opportunity that some folks will sometimes consider. This applies to travel on all carriers that serve the domestic market. For most folks here the two carriers in play will be Aerolineas Argentinas and LAN. I don't think the other small carriers have differential fares for non residents.

In the past, enforcement has been quite lax, and in most cases visitors that chose to play the system have been known to get away with buying cheaper tickets that are normally not eligible for those that are non resident.

Yesterday, on my return commute from work I hear a lengthy report on a radio talk show about the recent increase in fare checks for visitors that try to purchase and fly with these non eligible fares. It seems that Aerolineas (until now the best bet to play this game) has now gotten quite picky, so please take this new situation into consideration.

The report on the Radio spoke of 3 recent cases where the visitors were denied boarding, had to pay a fine/penalty fee and the equivalent fare difference (full fares in most cases). Of course, all these additional costs have to be paid with plastic so forget the Peso game at the blue rate... so in the end, this can get VERY expensive. I suggest folks read up on the rules and make informed decisions..... its OK to play the game, but if you do and get caught, be prepared to face the Music and have to pay up if you still wish to travel.
How can they know whether you are resident?
Domestic Argentina tickets don't require SFPD.
Old May 9, 13, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2 MM
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 View Post
How can they know whether you are resident?
If you check in at the counter they will need to see ID. Residents will have to show their DNI.
Old May 9, 13, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SoFlyOn View Post
If you check in at the counter they will need to see ID. Residents will have to show their DNI.
What about OLCI?

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: