FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Questionable On-board Upgrades SCL-ATL
View Single Post
Old May 6, 2013, 6:54 am
rwoman
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by kaigoss69
I was on this flight on 5/4. I was in EC (purchased EC) and there were approx 5-6 open seats in business class. After we took off the purser started pulling people into business class, but I question the methodology that was used in the selection process. For example, a young girl in front of me, couldn't have been more than 22, got upgraded, as well as two older ladies from the rear of the airplane. To me they just didn't look like frequent fliers, I don't know. My question is what criteria do they use and should I have said something or is it better to just shut up and avoid embarrassing myself in such situations? I am only silver, but some of those upgraded just didn't look like elites. Should I write a letter or should I just let it go?
I did not realize elite FFers needed to have a particular look...let alone that which would dictate an upgrade.

There are infants, children, young adults, adults, senior citizens of all shapes, sizes, and colors who have elite status. Some may "dress the part" but many do not, even on long flights.

If Economy is not oversold, they are very likely not going to move elites up to open space up front unless it's a routing where elites are entitled to complimentary upgrades (e.g. Mexico). NRSA? Yes.